Friday 1 January 2021

Demons & Wizards

My first post for 2021 and If you're a fan of Uriah Heap then I'm afraid you're going to be bitterly disappointed. Alackaday... But I offer no apologies. 

I'm posting these for the sake of keeping this blog alive for as long as I can, until I find a better platform. These are a bit of a mix of figures. Some old ~ some new.

So, what have I got? 

This figure is from Reaper. It's a very nice figure but my photography doesn't do him justice. He has a great pointy nosed face which reminds me of Dr Zachary Smith from Lost in Space. I like his vaporous potion too. It's very evocative. I got the figure about 6 months back and he's been sitting there half painted and just waiting for me to finish him.

This one I purchased a couple of weeks back. It's from Northstar and is from one of the newer metal Oathmark, Light Elf Infantry Command sets. Overall it's a nice figure with very clean lines to make painting easy. But he is a bit boring in the special "mystical elvish manner." I also don't like how the front hem of his robe is conveniently sculpted to show that he is supposed to be bare foot. It looks dumb. But, overall, he came out looking nice.
The back of the figure is pretty boring but I'm really happy with the light grey blending and contrast that I managed to achieve.
This big chap is another Reaper Bones monster. These Bones figures are great value for big, cheap beasts.
This figure is called a Wolf-Demon and, in my opinion, the basic figure is pretty dumb. It looks likes a giant wolf with lobster claws coming out of it's back. I bought it off the shelf without seeing what it looked like when assembled. 
I bought it about 12 months back. I assembled it and I wasn't happy with how it looked. It's been sitting there waiting and watching me. So, I finally decided to do some converting which I wont bother to describe because you can see what I did. So, I cut off some bits and added some greenstuff and the final result looks okay.

8 comments:

  1. Really like them Ian, I agree the wolf demon is a bit slap together of parts, I think you have done a splendid conversion of him

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mat. He still looks a bit odd but not quite so over the top.

      Delete
  2. Cool conversion of a standard D&D demon. Big fan of Uriah Heep, particularly the Roger Dean covers. Blogs seem a bit time consuming although I am keeping mine going. Facebook is too fleeting. I think Instagram is probably the middle road perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm also a fan of Roger Dean but I'm more in the Yes camp.

      Delete
  3. I have left a comment on your previous post re Blogger - the changes were definitely a pain in the proverbial but it seems to be more or less back to normal again now, so hopefully you stick around! The figures are very nice, Reaper do some excellent sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi rros, I didn't see your previous post but I'll go back and have a look. I've been avoiding facebook for the past few months and I don't use instagram.

      Delete