Sunday 10 January 2021

Frostgrave Terrain & Treasure Tokens

Going back to my post of a few days back you'll see that I refurbished a terrain board to make it usable for Frostgrave. When I finished doing that I decided to make a bit more terrain for the same game. This terrain is pretty basic and it's just foam wall sections glued together with no real rhyme or reason. It's table filler terrain, really.

I did try to get some sort of elevation for some of the pieces to represent a basic effect of multi levels and encourage climbing (and falling). I didn't add any snow/frost effects. I did that for the first few pieces I made and didn't bother on the next batch. Likewise I didn't add snow effects to this new stuff. The reason for that being that snow effects  really limits the possible uses for the terrain. Un-frosted the terrain can be used for any ruined city and, if I really want to I can just sprinkle baking soda to create temporary snow.

These are the new pieces. As I've done previously these are pretty cheap and easy. The main material is high density insulation foam scored and shaped using a hot wire cutter. The bases are scrap cardboard edged with masking tape. Each piece has three coats of grey caulk. The first coat is thinned with water to get into all the nooks and crannies. The second coat is watered but thicker. The third coat is for adding texture and to pick up any areas where the previous coats missed. When cured they were dry-brushed with off white emulsion paint.
The pieces come out pretty strong and sturdy due to the caulk even if they are quite basic.

I've also been delving into the Mantic Terrain Crate that I bought. I just added a few pieces to the current batch of things that I'm working on. There's nothing really interesting about any of them but they look pretty good for what they are. 
I also put together some treasure/loot tokens. These are mostly made up using bits from a WizKids set of wizard stuff (a pack full of bottles, books and whatnot). They look more interesting than bland 2D tokens. I do have other treasure tokens and these will go nicely with them.
That's all for now.


4 comments:

  1. Some lovely terrain and markers there. What make of caulk do you use, and do you have any step-by-step instructions on how to make your scenery, as they seem nice and sturdy and look the bee's knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Odo, the caulk I use is the cheapest I can find on the day. The good thing about it is that it seals, colours and protects all in one. It's cheap and easy. There 's no instructions because it's mainly made of off-cuts and junk.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. Back to the figures soon.

      Delete