Thursday 21 January 2021

A Lich In Time Saves Nine

A lich in time save nine in time to stay alive 'cause we are so divine.

So the song goes... Or something like that.

Anyway, I painted the Frostgrave Lich Lord figure. This is another of those figures that has been sitting on my table, half done for the past half a year. I can't remember why I bought it in the first place. I have several other undead figures that could represent a lich.

I feel that this figure has a bit of a Robert E Howard/Hypoborean feel to it. It doesn't look like most fantasy figures with their pseudo-medieval style. This figure does look a bit ancient. It painted up well and looks pretty nice (even though it looks a bit too cheerful.) Trying to differentiate all the blacks and greys on this figure was a bit of a challenge but I feel that it came out okay.
Orc Champions: I really like this pair of figures. They come from the Mantic Terrain Crate which I'm still wading through. Of all the figures in that box I think that this pair are the best ones I've painted so far. If I could, I'd buy more of them but they don't seem to appear among the normal Mantic figure range. That's a shame because they're really nice.
This pair have been recruited into my army of evil doers and they'll take their place as champions or commanders of my goblins. Lovely figures.
And now for the monster of the week: Mr Roper... I call him George.
This figure is another Reaper Black Bones figure. It's pretty large at about 2.5" to 3" tall. I've seen this figure online & I thought he looked pretty good in the shop. When I put it together I began to have second thoughts. The central figure looks nice and vicious with great detail but the tentacles are really pretty crappy. They have almost no detail and they don't match the body at all. 
I tried my best to make it look okay but I'm pretty disappointed with it overall. It there was some sort of texture on the tentacles this figure could look great. I could have done some greenstuff work on them but I couldn't be bothered putting that much effort into the figure. It's cheap and, unfortunately, it's nasty too. I thought it could look good as a central enemy for a game and guess it can till fill that roll. It just won't look as good as I wanted. Not my favorite monster figure. 
A thumbs down for me on this one Reaper Miniatures.


And that's it for now. I did also paint up a pair of WizKids leopards as Snow Leopards for Frostgrave. But the figures are so insignificant a uninspiring that I didn't bother posting any pics. They may appear in a Frostgrave battle report sometime in the future.



8 comments:

  1. Some nice paintjobs there! Those orcs are from th Dungeon Saga expansion, Warlord of Galahir, also available in the Green Rage pack: https://www.manticgames.com/games/dungeon-saga/miniatures/green-rage-miniature-set/
    I don't think they sell just the orc troops separately unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bloodsbane. I just had a look. It looks exactly like the set that came in the Terrain Crate box.

      Delete
  2. Top painting. Thanks for the review of the Roper... I'll get the WizKids one instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Springinsfeld. Maybe that's what I should have done too.

      Delete
  3. Nice job but I see what you mean about the miniature. I plan on using the reaper bones liche for mine as it's more dynamic tbh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian, I agree. It's a nice figure bit it's not very dynamic. It looks a bit like it's standing at the door welcoming you to the Tomb of Dread. "Come in, come in. Take a seat and I'll will be right with you."

      Delete