Wednesday 12 August 2020

The Danse Macabre

So I decided to make an Undead Army. Why? Because I had a whole bunch of GW plastic ghostly figures that I picked up really cheap last year. Also because I thought I'd like another army for SAGA ~ Age of Magic and I thought these guys would be easy to paint.

When I say I got these figures cheap I didn't realise how cheap at the time. A friend was selling them at my club and was asking $30for a bag full of sprues. I gave him $40 saying that they must be worth more than $30 considering they're GW. In the past couple of days I found out that these figures cost $70 for a box of ten in Australia! There were 40 figures as well as some mounted figures and bigger ghostly figures. I'm guessing at over $300 considering GW's over inflated Australian prices. Egad!!!

So I started painting. I opted for a really simple pallet but they do have multiple layers of wash and dry-brushing. This is what I've got so far after three days of paining (a couple of hours each day).

I did 24 of these. That makes up either Three units of 8 Warriors for Age of Magic or two units of 12 for Dragon Rampant. I'll do another dozen of them but I want to do some other figures before I do that.
This is one of the "alternative" figures on the sprues (the other one has a pillory on his shoulders). I've made one of these previously for a different project so I decided to do this one a little different. I removed his candelabra, added a piece of brass rod and added a flag made of paper. I tried to make the flag look whispy and ragged. All in all, he came out okay.
This is one of the larger models and looks nice, although I'm unsure what I can use it for at this stage. I'm sure I can find some place for him in the army.

So that's what I have so far. I expect to have at least one more unit, if not two, by the end of today or tomorrow. I'm hoping to get this entire army done by the weekend (today is Thursday).



And now it's time for a song:

I love the dead before they're cold,
They're bluing flesh for me to hold.
Cadaver eyes upon me see... Nothing


I love the dead before they rise,

No farewells, no goodbyes
I never knew your now rotting face.


While friends and lovers mourn your silly grave,
I have other uses for you, Darling.


Alice Cooper 1973



2 comments: