Monday 13 April 2020

More Terrain for Frostgrave

For the past few days I've been putting my energy into building more ruined buildings for Frostgrave. I'm thinking that these can also be used for any other game that needs ruins so I've decided not to apply snow to them because it really limits their use. If I want to make them look frosty I'll give them a sprinkle of baking powder and if I want them to look like they're in the jungle, I'll add some vines.

Once again: I take no credit for the design of these pieces. I stole their design from fellow NWA Member Neil H, so he deserves any credit. I initially started making this terrain to further our Frostgrave campaign which, as you can expect, has been put on hiatus for the duration of the plague. As it is, I'll probably use it to play some solo Frosgrave during in upcoming weeks.
The pieces are pretty simple. They're made of a medium density foam cut to shape and scored with hot foam cutters (I have two different types). They are fitted to thick cardboard which is edged with masking tape for strength. The whole piece is then painted (by brush) with watered down dark grey caulk. Three coats of caulk give them a pretty good protective finish. They are then drybrushed with some light grey emulsion paint (I get small tester pots at the hardware store).
This is my mausoleum with some figures to give you a sense of scale. The roof comes off but it has no detail inside except for construction marks and a coat of caulk. Once again an idea 100% stolen  from Neil H.
And here's all of the stuff that I've done so far. The first lot I made has "snow" applied and I can't do anything about that now so I'll have to live with it. I think it looks okay. It's cheap and easy to make (although the caulk took a while to cure in this cold weather). I have enough to fill this 3'x4' bench top so that should be enough for the time being.
I also found this little alter and gave it some paint. Nothing difficult. It's made by Reaper (Bones) and is a cheap little thing that looks nice. I'm sure it will come in useful.
This one is a bit different. I got this figure (Reaper Bones again) a couple of months back when I first started getting back into fantasy games. It's a pretty plain figure and I found that I couldn't paint it. I tried a couple of different colour schemes but I just couldn't get it right. So I decided to turn him into a bronze statue. The plinth is just a little plastic paint pot turned upside down and glued to a plastic 30mm base. He looks okay now and I'm sure he'll come in useful.

4 comments:

  1. You mentioned emulsion paint. Why use it? Is it specifically for some effects?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I get tester pots from the hardware shop. Sometimes I get returned tubs for $1 or I might buy a particular colour for $5. For terrain they are cheap and a 250mm tub goes a long, long way.

      Delete