Saturday 11 April 2020

A Bunch of Stuff with Nothing in Common

With plenty of time on my hands I'm still painting figures, making terrain and playing Rangers of Shadow Deep (solo). I'm thinking of playing a short solo campaign of Dragon Rampant just for the sake of it.

When playing a game one of my main concerns is the figures I put on the table and how good the games looks. Good guys or evil doers... it doesn't really matter. I really care about how my own figures look on a nice games table. With that attitude I think I can play a DR as a solo game because I really have no preference for sides because all the figures will be my own. I might make up a short narrative campaign and see where it leads.

Anyway, what have I been painting?
This first one is a Frostgrave figure. A cultist I think. I'm not sure but he's a nice figure and he goes well with another figure below. I don't know where this figure fits in the scheme of things. but I like him.
A raggedy cleric. I don't know where this figure came from but I think I've had it for a long time. I found him while I was rummaging through a bits box and decided to give him some paint. He has a lot of character and I'm sure he'll come in useful somewhere along the way.
This a another of the Hawkmoon/Granbretanian figures I sculpted a few years ago for Eureka. I always liked this figure and finally got around to painting one. It has a very weird and disturbing look to it. An officer of The Order of The Pig.
When I sculpted him, I gave him a little piggy tail riveted onto his belt.
This one is a D&D figure (by WizKids I think). I found it in a local store just the other day and I really took a shine to it. As mentioned above regarding a solo DR campaign one thing I needed was a general/commander for my evil forces. When I saw this I was reminded of a part of the Silmarillion where Sauron, in the guise of a giant werewolf, leads the armies of Morgoth in battle. So I rubbed my chinny, chin, chin and thought... Hmmm... 
I think this figure will make a very nice general for my evil armies. I'll put it on the table as a single figure, reduced figure unit with a few other nasty powers to make it real mean. Why do I say "it", because I might make it a brood mother for the actual werewolf unit I already have. Who knows?
And if you're wondering if the figure will look intimidating enough as a single figure unit. Here is a comparison shot (thats a 60mm base & the axeman is a pretty large figure).
As I mentioned above, the axeman and the wolf make a pretty good looking duo. I don't know where I could use them as a team but you never know. 

And before I sign off, I've been making some more terrain for Frostgrave today. It will probably take a few days to get it all painted because of the weather. I give each piece a couple of coats of watered down, dark grey caulk which is taking longer than usual to cure because it's cold in my garage now.


4 comments:

  1. Good stuff! Mr Raggedy Cleric is a GW Warhammer Flagellant from the early 2000's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I must have had him for a while. I wonder where I got him from.

      Delete