Saturday 18 April 2020

It's All in the Cards

Recently, apart from the other terrain I've been making, I've also been working on a bunch of card terrain - This time a medieval town. I've been doing pieces here and there for the past couple of months and now that I have a half decent collection, I thought I'd take some photos of it.

The majority of these pieces are by Dave Graffam models. Most of them are pretty straight forward to build and an average model takes about an hour to 90 minutes to build. Some of the more complex ones take considerably longer: for instance, the Gatehouse and the Ruined Church took about half a day each. That said, some of the simple ones can be built in maybe half an hour or less.

There are some other designs in the mix, but I can't remember who makes them. I think the bell tower is a Fat Dragon Games model.
This is a Gate House (North or South - I can't remember) 
 Grenadier Larry and Frank the Dragoon and are just there for scale (28mm)
This one is an inn/tavern I think.
 A collection of smaller buildings and bell tower.
 I have no idea what these building are.
 This one is (I think) a coach house. I'm pretty sure it is.
And here's the gate house with some walls. I added the optional "Dust Layer" to the walls prior to printing and they came out looking faded which I don't like very much.
These ruins are the newest ones I've made. I made them specifically for the next scenario of Rangers of Shadow Deep that I'll be playing. I needed a couple of decent sized ruined 28mm buildings. I don't own any such things so I needed to make some. What better way is there, to get some good looking pieces in two days than to make card terrain?

These two are pretty basic ruined buildings. 
The one on the left can also be modeled to resemble a 20th Century bombed out building.
This is the ruined church. It's pretty large (9'" by 7" footprints and about 12" high. It's a pretty advanced build so not recommended for beginners. The tower has more floors than I've modeled and it also has stairs which I didn't bother adding.
The back wall of the tower can be made so that you can open and close it to gain easy access, which is a nice little feature.
And finally a couple of temples. I can't remember who designed these. The one on the left is really nice. It has some really nice detail. The roof slides out for access and there is a big stone door (leaning on the side) that can be used to cover the entrance. The grey ruined temple is pretty simplistic. It has some nice detail but the very straightness of its lines make it look a little bit odd.

No matter, they'll both come in useful sometime in the future. I'm sure. I hope. We'll see...
One thing I should add. When I make these card buildings I like them to have some weight. So, in order to give them some ballast and a bit of heft I put about a cup of rice in them (a bit more for large ones and a little less for smaller ones). It really makes no difference but I do like to know that they have a bit more substance than meets the eye. Even the walls of the temples each have a little bit of ballast inside them.

Cheers, and thanks for visiting.



9 comments:

  1. impressive to look at, just the weight reduction alone for structures that size is a worthwhile consideration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm,
      Yes, i like them. I know they don't equal quality resin or 3d printed stuff, but for the price, the effort and the over-all effect (and the weight), they're a pretty good alternative.

      Delete
    2. These look great, I'm working on building a collection myself. When I compare the cost, ease of build and time these are clear winners for the busy DM on a budget. Resin is expensive, takes a lot of talent & Time to paint well, sure it looks great but I'm building a game table not making heirloom keepsake (maybe you are and that's cool too), I have a 3D printer and thought about printing some buildings but the print times are insane and they take 20 dollars worth of filament, and then you have to paint them. When I pop mine on the table with some printed and or crafted scatter terrain they look sweet.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful buildings, guaranted atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! I've got a few of these but haven't assembled them yet,so nice to see what they're like, they've come out really well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iain,
      I think they're better than people expect. When you lay down a whole table it can look really nice.

      Delete