Sunday 18 September 2022

Prussian Skirmishers ~ Tyrolean Jagers

After quite a long time away from Napoleonics I've made a brief foray back into the era to bolster my Prussian skirmish line. I'm hoping to play some General D'Armee in a few weeks and I need to get my thinking back into a Napoleonic Wargaming frame of mind. I now have a 15 bases of skirmishers, but I think I could do with a few more.
So, where do these troops fit in to a 1813/14 Prussian army, I hear you ask?
In Lutzow's Freikorp I tell you!

I've had these jager figures half painted for a couple of years. They are Perry Miniatures from their range of Austrians as far as I can recall. I remember that I couldn't find any actual Prussian Tyrolean figures. As it is, I collected and painted three battalions for Lutzow's Friekorp a few years back and found that there were a couple of companies of Tyrolean Jager attached. From what I remember they were attached to Lutzow because those in charge didn't know where else to put them. 
Anyway, I ordered them, prepped them, half painted them and them put them aside. The reason being that I really don't like these figures. I find that many of the older Perry metal figures to be pretty horrible to prep and paint and, with these figures I don't really like the final result. I did the same type of paint job that I've done for the rest of my Prussian: That means pretty much 95% flat paint with minimal shading and only using washes on the flesh areas. 
I'm sure they can be painted better but I just don't like that actual figures and couldn't be bothered making the effort. They have been sitting around for a long time collecting dust and making me feel guilty. At least they're now painted and based. Hopefully the can perform well on the battlefield and reignite my initial affection for them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As mentioned above, I now have 15 skirmish bases. These include regular fusiliers as well as volunteer jager. I also have three bases of kit-bashed Guard Jager which were attached to the Leib regiment in 1813. There should actually be two companies of them but decided to interpret that into 3 skirmish bases (instead of making up a useless half battalion). I plan to increase my Lutzow's Fiekorp to include artillery and uhlans so I may as well add some 3rd rank skirmish bases at the same time.

4 comments:

  1. Very nicely done Ian! Don't forget to save some of your Alexander the Great Choccy for he next game 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. My great fear is that I'll eat one block of chocolate and I'll become instantly addicted to the sheer intensity of the dice throwing power.

      Delete