Tuesday 29 June 2021

New Recruits and Other Goodies

I'm back to painting Napoleonic's at the moment. I had a look at what I had on hand and realised that I don't have very many French. I have a good force of Prussians but not nearly enough French. So, last week I painted up a new regiment of legere and this week I did a horse battery. I also just started the first battalion of a new ligne regiment. 
These figures are from the Perry's and I've had them for quite some time. Each gun had 4 figures but I only used three which worked out fine because I could make each of the crews look little different. Nice figures and easy to paint although I'm never a fan of painting guns (or horses!)

And what are these other goodies that I'm referring to in the title of this post?

Well I bought a battle mat.
I got this from Warzone Studio which is a Russian company. I will admit that I was a bit apprehensive about the origins of this mat and wondering if I would just be throwing away my money but I was wrong. The mat is really well made in a thick material that feels synthetic. The print looks really nice with clear detail. They constantly kept me informed about shipping and just what leg of it's journey the mat was on. Also, the price was very good compared with other double sided mats I looked at. I'm really happy with it.
I didn't know what to get on the underside but I chose a desert type. It's more of a cracked/parched earth image which would work great for sci-fi, fantasy or similar scenario.
And to top the whole thing off... It came in this handsome, rigid felt case. It even has fake retro leather elbow patches on it for the discerning gentleman wargamer of bygone era. All it needs now is a beard and a pipe.
But there is one thing I'll say: As far as a desert mat goes I think I prefer my el Cheapo desert that was made with cheap white cotton, dyed with Tynee Tips Tea, and stained with International Roast Coffee.
It don't come much cheaper than that!


4 comments:

  1. Lovely figures (I do like napoleonic artillery and 3 figures helps keeping the base footprint smaller) and a very nice mat that looks to have similar tones as your basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I'm keen to get back to Napoleonics. The problem with my club is that there are several Napoleonic groups that all play their own preferred rules. It's fractured and there's no inclination to try different rules.

      Delete
  2. That's a fine looking battery. I prefer two guns per battery too, rather than a single gun with more crew.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. Back when I started in the 70's it was always one gun model per battery and when I got back into wargaming the guys I was playing with still did there guns that way but I really prefer more models. Now I do two for horse batteries and three for foot.

      Delete