Thursday 3 June 2021

Desert and Church

I've been making some more desert terrain and I finally finished the big church I started over 12 months back.

I wanted more terrain that I can use for WW2 Western Desert games. I wanted this to be versatile so that I can also use it for Tunisia and Sicily. It looks pretty rocky and it will have to do because this is how it tuned out. They're made from high density foam glued to a foamcore base. I reinforced the edges of the foamcore with masking tape. The smaller pieces are covered with Sculptamold and the large piece is covered with that plaster of Paris bandage stuff.

Below are the new pieces next to some older ones that I made a few years back. I tried to get the same colours and paint scheme and I got pretty close. Not 100% but almost there.
And here it is with some 20mm figures for scale.

I go this church about 18 months ago (click here to see the original post) and it's been sitting around waiting to be finished. I don't know why it took so long to add the base. I guess I just got complacent.
It's a cardmodel and it's really nice with some fantastic detail. I really need to make some matching walls to go with it and while I was downloading these photo's I remembered some materials that I have stashed away that might do the trick. We'll see.


8 comments:

  1. Lovely terrain! Really love the church too!
    Best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. It's a great model and it was pretty easy to make. No paint required which was a bonus.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Now I need to play some games where I can use it (I'm in Melbourne Australia and we're locked-down AGAIN!!!)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I need to get my WW2 desert forces on the table as soon as possible.

      Delete
  4. Good looking terrain and the church looks particularly splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter. It is a great model. I was a bit intimidated when I first opened up the pack but it went together really easily.

      Delete