Wednesday 23 June 2021

Get it Orff! ~ Experiment in Stripping

 Greeting folks,

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner from Aldi. It's been sitting around for a while and I decided I needed to see how good it shaped up for stripping figures. I had a bunch of Perry French leger infantry that had been partially painted by a friend in an semi-aborted figure paining deal a few years back. 
So, into the supersonic cleaner they went. I watched a couple of youtube videos about doing this and discovered I needed to add a cleaning solution so I used plain tap water and added some Simply Green.

I needed to run the ultra-super-mega-cleaner three times on 6 minute cycles and gave them a final scrub with a toothbrush. Some of the paint was difficult to get out of deep recesses but that was mainly due to the figures. The paint remaining on the figures after the cleaning came of very easily. Overall they came out pretty clean with minimal scrubbing effort. I'm sure I still need to do a bit more experimentation.
I painted them up and they came out looking nice. It's been a while since I painted Napoleonic troops and it took a little time to get back into the swing of it. The way I paint Napoleonic's means that I need to be pretty precise with the brush. They're not the best brush-work out there but they look pretty nice to me. I like the clean look with bright colours and well defined lines which is how I first learned to paint them back in the late 70's.
Unfortunately I mounted them on the same 50x40mm bases that I've been using for my WW2 troops and they looked really nice. This made me start re-basing a couple more battalions onto these bases. Then it was a few battalions. Then I had to order more bases from Knights of Dice. Now I've done all of my French and I have to start on my Prussians.
Fool that I am.

4 comments:

  1. Love your site. Some really great stuff. I was looking way back in your Pulp Sci-fi and I was hoping you could help out with one of your minis. You have one you named Tricia Nova. By any chance do you remember the maker? Again, great site, and thanks for any information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s Trixie, not Tricia, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, I made the figure years ago. I di have some of left over figures but I no longer have any. The figures/moulds were sold to Knights of Dice. I'm unsure if they're still casting miniatures (they do mainly mdf terrain now). But if you go to their web site and send an email, they might be able to cast one for you. Or they may have some old stock.

      Delete
  3. Thanks! Great figure, and once again, great site.

    ReplyDelete