Thursday 19 March 2020

Easy Terrain for Frostgrave

Having played a couple of games of Frostgrave on the fantastic terrain maide by Neil from NWA, I decided to make some myself. I unashamedly stole his idea and concept (I did tell him I was doing this). My reasoning for that is to give all of us players in our campaign a bit more of the chance to to play on terrain that is made to fit the setting. I also want to make some terrain pieces that are scenario specific.

When we have 8 players (thus 4 games all playing at the same time) and only one terrain builder it can get a bit much for one person. Besides all that. I do like to make & own my own stuff and so now, I have some or any other of campaign games.

That said, these first few pieces that I've made are pretty basic and they're far from the really nice set piece stuff that Neil has already made. But they'll help set the mood and make the other tables look more how Frostgrave should.
These pieces are made from a mix of high density white foam and compressed orange insulation foam. I bought a straight foam cutting knife to do the majority of the cutting and I also use my handheld wire cutter for some parts. All pieces are glued together using Liquid Nails (called Hard as Nails in some countries).

Each piece has had two coats of watered down (but still quite thick) dark grey caulk. The bases are just corrugated cardboard with masking tape folded over the edges. The bases also had two coats of caulk with a third thinner coat that I sprinkled with sawdust for texture.
I next gave them a heavy dry brushing using some light grey acrylic emulsion paint that I had on the shelf in a tester pot.
The snow is bi-carb... Now this is not what I was going to use. I didn't intend to use bi-carb because of the inevitable yellowing effect. however, I read on another blog about "cleaning bi-carb". This stuff is different in that it is not for food or kitchen use. It's strictly used for cleaning. As a result it doesn't contain any starches with is what causes the yellowing of standard bi-carb. It's very fine to the touch, almost like talcum powder.  I bought it in the hardware store. It adheres very well to pva glue. I applied the pva unwatered and thick.
And here's my start on my next piece. This one is a specific piece for Thaw of the Lich Lord campaign. I read bout this terrain requirement in the book and decided to make a bespoke piece. In the scenario The Ghoul King is sitting on his throne which is placed on the central pedestal and I have just the thing...

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Nice and quick & simple & cheap. My favorite combo.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's not as good as yours but it will help to populate more tables when we can get back to the campaign. And I should have more done by then.

      Delete
  3. Great additions Ian, ruined buildings work better for wargaming imho, no lifting roofs etc.

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a point. But sometimes a nice new building...

      Delete