Having tried a test doing a Teddy bear fur mat I decided to go all out and try something more ambitious. And I'm not really very happy with my results.
Because I can't get larger sheets of fur with a shorter pile, I had to revert to a couple of smaller pieces and hope to be able to link them together. My plan worked to some extent but not to a level that I'm completely happy with.
I initially decided on two pieces at 130 x 80cm (just over 4' by about 2.6' ). So enough to cover a 120 x 160cm area (so... 4' by 5.2').
Then I decided to add a third section. The idea being that this third section would fit in such a way that I'd be able to get several configurations with the same pieces. This part didn't work out quite as well as I hoped.
It sort of works but I'm not 100% happy. A single piece of material would work better. Maybe I should make a fourth piece to fit on the bottom of mats 1 & 2.