Tuesday 3 October 2017

The Start of My New Navy

I saw a card-stock model of a medieval cog on a Russian website. I wasn't sure if I could trust the site or if the model would be any good. But, it was only $8 so I thought, "What the hell..." and ordered one.

It took a while for the post to get from Russia to Australia (about 4 weeks) and the model arrived this morning at 9 o'clock. By 11:20 I had the first ship of my nice new navy for my medieval Hemmingseatic League.

As far as I'm concerned this model is great. It's fully detailed and the card is even textured. It's 25mm but it fits okay with 28mm. It was super easy to make and for the price I'm certain I'll be getting a few more of these. There are a few tabs and whatnot that jut out in places but they don't distract from the overall model. It's a pretty solid model although I will need to superglue the fo'castle and the crows nest because they're not held in very firmly. But that's a really small fix.

My plan, when I get some more, is to scan the sail. Then I'll do some photoshop stuff to change colours and/or design and I'll have a small fleet of individual ships.

Here it is with a couple of 28mm troops for scale.







P.S: I also ordered a medieval hunting lodge model at the same time. I'll post some pics when I get it made.

5 comments:

  1. Cool! Do you have a link for the website Ian? Do they make Viking longships as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have Viking ships. I don't like the sails very much and the shields a not great, but they're easy things to fix.

      http://russia-best.com/product/ladja-russian-boat-card-model-kit/

      Delete