Tuesday 27 June 2023

A New Elf Regiment

I'm still binging on fantasy and this time it's more elves. I painted a unit of archers a few weeks back so and I decided to do some spears to go with them. Most of my elves are grouped into a units of heavy spears and archers like these. I also have some as a phalanx, some sword and shield as well as some peltasts. So these new guys will make up a new, colourful regiment. They're purple so maybe they are a royal house.
The shields are made using my tried and true method. I make a design - In this case I used a banner that I made a while back and re-coloured it in photoshop to match the painted figures. Then I lifted the swan and stars from a jpeg image and blended them into the purple of the banner. I then printed them onto regular printer paper, cut them out and glued them onto the figure with pva. I then gave each shield several coats of varnish.

Overall, I like the banner but I'm not so keen on the shields. I think they look a bit dorky but I'm not going to change them. They look okay.
Here they are matched up with their archer company. I see them as a sort of sparabarra or a bill and bow type unit. With these guys I now I have 6 of these regiments. All up I think I have about eighteen companies of 12 figures as well as light infantry, skirmishers, cavalry and chariots. I'm not really sure but I do I have quite  a lot. But I have more goblins and orcs.
I think they look very nice as a single unit. They add a nice splash of extra colour to an already colourful army.

That's it for now. I'm not sure what I'll be doing next. I have a couple of boxes of dwarves but I have a hankerin' to make more orcs because it's easy to get them done with a quick and dirty paint job.


Edit: I forgot to mention that these figures are Oathmark Light Elf Infantry bodies with Heavy Elf Infantry arms and heads. I also filed down the spears heads to make them look like lighter weapons. The shields are from Wargames Atlantic Dark Age Irish with the boss removed.



2 comments:

  1. A lovely clean set of figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I do like the Oathmark figures. They're straightforward with nice easy definition.

      Delete