Saturday 15 July 2023

Some Orcs and Some Elves

I haven't been painting much recently although I have spent a bit of time gluing together various plastic figures. I assembled a box of Oathmark dwarves as well as some some Revenants from the same range. With the Revenants I used the archer arms from the Wargames Atlantic Goblins box. They came out very nice and I'm looking forward to painting them. However, this post is about the figures I've just finished.
I didn't paint all the orcs in the photo above... I painted the ones below and added them to the above band of evil doers. I like these Wargames Atlantic Goblins. They have a very distinctive look when compared to the Oathmark figures. I call all of them orcs but to my way of doing things I call these little fellows Mountain Orcs. They are cave dwellers so they're a bit smaller with paler skin.
On the other hand I call the Oathmark Goblins orcs too even though they have recently brought out a boxed set of Orcs which are a little bit larger... It's all very confusing so I just call them all orcs. So... Below we have a metal Oathmark Orc Captain and a shaman both from the same command set. Both of these are really nice figures and easy to paint. These will be the command element of my Oathmark/Perry kitbashed orc division (I have a second box of them in the post as I write).
As for the elves, I did this pair of metal Reaper figures. The archer will be the dedicated archer figure for my Dragon Slayer game and the other will become a captain for my larger elf army. Both of these figures are very, very nice and they demanded some detailed brushwork. 
I call this character in my army The Prince in the Scarlet Robe after the Michael Moorcock character Corum. This figure will replace the figure below which is somewhat lacking in the dramatic Elite Captain of the Guard stakes. Or he may even replace my elf king if the mood strikes me. We'll wait and see.
So that's it for now. I've moved on to painting some dwarves but I have feeling they are going to take me quite some time. I've been writing a set of fantasy big battle rules for myself and, as a result, I have a feeling I'm going to need to rebase a few hundred figures. All of my elves and orcs are mounted on multi-figure 40x40 bases whereas all the rest of my fantasy armies (woodland folk, undead, dwarves, northern men and my imaginations medieval army - which can also stand in for a fantasy army - plus more...) are all on 25mm round bases and they outnumber the elves and orcs about 2:1. One basing method has to give way and 25m round bases are more versatile. I have about 180+ each of elves and orcs on multi-bases. That's close to 400 figures to re-base. Ouch!

My sanity may be called into question sometime in the near future.







2 comments:

  1. Great looking figures Ian!
    My solution for the basing is not to bother 😊 Change your rules so the elves and orcs can use their exiting basing .

    Another wargame hint from the Lazy Gamer 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. Too late... I've already started the process. The thing is, is that I have all those other fantasy armies made up of several hundred figures and the only ones that don't match are the orcs and elves. One basing system had to go!

      Delete