Tuesday 2 May 2023

The Wyrm Gormagundr

In my post from a couple of weeks back I put my army of orcs and their allies on parade to see what I had for a creative photo opportunity. The army itself is a pretty decent size but there was something missing: A nice big centrepiece monster. So to fix that problem I went hunting and found just the thing to fill that gap.

The Wyrm Gormagundr ~ A mighty fire-drake, lured from his lair with promises of treasure, to march into battle against all that is good and wholesome. A ferocious beast with an insatiable lust for gold, fine gems and creating chaos.
I decided to make a crawling dragon for the sake of doing something a bit different and to better tie in with the general Tolkien-esque mythology from the Silmarillion where the dragons are not yet winged. The dragon I used was this one from Reaper Black Bones:
I filled in the large holes on his back where the wings would be mounted and sculpted some large scales to accentuate his armoured hide. This wasn't my first choice of dragon but it was the best one I could get to do the job.
All in all he came out quite nice. I was considering doing more on the base but decided against it. I was going to add a charred tree and some burnt land but I figured that this sort of detail is just the sort of thing that could break with use on the wargames table. So I left it off and opted for a simple approach.
And to give some scale to the model here he is with some mountain orcs. He stands about 3" high and is about 6" to 7" long. Big enough to let his enemies know that he's a dangerous opponent.

And, as The Velvet Fog sang:

"When you're smiling,
When you're smiling,
The whole world smiles with you..."
That's it for now, folks!




2 comments:

  1. Great job on that dragon - it really looks the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks L O. I just have to get him into battle now to cause some grief for the forces of Good.

      Delete