Monday 15 May 2023

Anglanchor the Great ~ King of the Fire Drakes

I bought a new dragon. I have a game planned for my clubs' Open Day in a couple of months. I started early because I had a good idea that is pretty easy to pull of, and while I'm on a bit of a fantasy jag, I thought I'd start now instead of waiting until the last minute.
This dragon is huge. I needed a big dragon and I found this one online. It is yet another Reaper Bones model called Viridius. The idea for the game is simple: Using the Dragon Rampant rules the dragon will be a 36 point warband. Each part of the dragon will be considered a separate "unit," (for instance each front leg will be a unit of Elite Foot with the relevant stats for that type of unit). Facing the dragon will be a party of six characters: A knight, dwarf, elf, hobbit, barbarian and a mage. Each character will be a Single Model Unit in line with the DR rules with combined points adding up to a 36 point warband.

That's why I needed such an impressive and dangerous looking dragon.
I have renamed him:  Anglanchor the Great ~ King of the Fire Drakes.
To give you an idea of just how huge this model is, here it is with my other dragons. These models are all quite impressive in their own right but they are dwarfed by this mighty beast.
One thing that makes my prep for this game easy is that I have a good collection of fantasy figures and I didn't think I'd need any more. But I was wrong. Looking through my figures I realised I didn't have a good fantasy knight/paladin figure. I have lots of historical knights but none are worthy of fighting such a mighty foe. So I started looking online for one. I found some nice figures but I wasn't prepared to pay the exorbitant postage demanded (I'm in Melbourne, Australia). I was telling my friend and opponent Mike of this problem. He went away and came back with a box of old GW Bretonian Grail knights and let me take my pick.

Thus was born Sir Gavarel, Paladin of the Chrystal Court (his name is likely to change!). I remade his lance with a brass rod, the horse plumes are Perry Wars of the Roses and the helmet plume is from Eureka. Not a great photo. The light glare is ruining most of the shading detail.

So that's my big new dragon for my small project. He isn't based but I plan to magnetise him so that I can fit him onto either a grass base or a dungeon/cavern base. That way I can alter the setting for the game. I already have a double-sided 3' x 3' board with grass on one side and stone on the other and I'm making some extra terrain for it. I'm considering adding some objectives to the game such as, saving a princess or getting an item of treasure. I'll have to think about that.

2 comments:

  1. He's a big boy. Well painted, looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. He certainly is big and painting him was a bit intimidating.

      Delete