Sunday 9 October 2022

A Tudor and Some French Men

As I planned, I added another base to my WotR's French Mercenary pike and I painted up a Jasper Tudor, Earl of Richmond, command base. 
The colour pallet for standard bearer came together pretty easy and I really like the resul. But the Jasper figure was a pain in the butt. I wanted to do him with his coat or arms but it just didn't work. I used the command figure from the Perry Dismounted Men-at Arms box but found out that his tabard is trapezoid shaped and not square which made it impossible to paint the coat of arms without making it look distorted.
I looked for some inspiration and, as you can see, I opted for the Tudor colours with a large Rose of Lancaster. I think I ended up painting that tabard four times (different colours). Then a wash. Then a touch up of thinned colours. Then varnish. All up the tabard has about a dozen layers. I freehand painted both roses and I like how they came out. I also made the flag using photoshop. I'm not sure how to attach files on this blog. If I could I'd attach the flag files I've been making.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My French mercenaries look much better. They now look  like a proper little pike block instead of a unit formed up in line. I also included another pennant just because I could and everyone knows that more flags is always a good thing. I used a metal standard bearer figure and one of the Perry flags.
The flags that come in the Perry boxes are notoriously difficult to use. The paper is far too thick and it's glossy. What I did is this: I scanned the flag sheets and printed the scan on to normal A4 paper. This way they are far more usable and, if I need them, I can print multiple copies.  
Previously...

One last thing: I'm getting better results form my new camera now that I've had time to play around with it a bit.

4 comments:

  1. More excellent WoR paintings!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent painting and bases Ian! You are very patient with your painting. My figures only get one go, no repainting, at best a touch up 😊
    This of course explains why your figures look so good in close up and mine look great from 3 metres 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Ben. I'm not really patient, as such. I would say I'm a bit picky. And that's just for my own sake. I see that I've made a mistake and my mind just goes: No no no... And I have to fix it.

      Delete