Sunday 23 October 2022

A Fanfare for the King

I've had this figure of Henry VI for a while abut but I didn't know what to to do with it. It's the Perry figure that comes in the same set as Margret of Anjou and Buckingham. I wanted to keep Henry separate for a purpose but I didn't know what to do with him.

Last week, as mentioned in my previous post, I visited Eureka and found out that they have a range of Wars of the Roses figures that don't appear on their webstore. Because the horses in the plastic set are far too animated for what I wanted, I ended up using most of the metal Perry horses I had on my Margret/Buckingham command base. So I needed a few replacements for the King's base.
Eureka only had 2 horse options but I thought they would work well: and they did. They don't have saddles so I had to sculpt one for the Perry "Lord Wenlock" figure that I used and ended up with the rider and horse as a single figure. I pained this figure not as Wenlock but a more generic "Kings Counsellor." I like the way the figures work together. It looks like Henry is explaining some complex piece of theology and the "Counsellor" is rubbing his chinny, chin. chin and thinking..."Ummm... Okay?"

The standard bearer is from the Eureka range. I don't like this figure much. His pauldrons are studded and look like a fantasy figure and the figure itself is quite flat. I trimmed down the left pauldron and sculpted a cloth on top to match the plastic Perry arm that I grafted onto its right side. He already had a saddle which fitted perfectly onto the horse.
The musicians are from the Eureka range and as soon as I saw them I thought: "I know what to do with these," and what to do with the Henry VI figure. They are fantastic and I'll be getting another set of these to add to my Hemmingseatic League Imaginations medieval army. A great little set.
That banner on the trumpeter was tricky. Using photoshop I cut the actual banner down and then re-sized the image. Because the figure is hand crafted one side of the trumpet banner needed a 14mm square and the other side a 13mm not-quite-square, square. Both hands got in the way too so there was some micro-trimming required. Then I had to try and match the paint to the banner.
By the way, this base isn't supposed to be a command base. It's a King Henry VI base, meaning that it will mark on the table where he is if he's present. He could be in the custody of the Yorkist, or sitting under a tree with the battle rages all around him and the Queen takes command. Whatever situation he finds himself in, I really like how this base turned out. Lots of colour, pageantry and a little bit odd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also made some other pieces. As you can see below I made some stakes for the archers and some Re-Load tokens in case they are needed for any particular set of rules. The stakes are individual little things on a base as are the bunches of arrows. Both from Eureka. The stakes are on 6" bases.



11 comments:

  1. Lovely looking command!
    best regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely base, so much to stare into and study. The arrow tokens are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I was going to do them using the plastic ones in the perry set but I thought they'd break. A soon as I saw these. Well...

      Delete
  3. Great looking set up. Maybe the knight was going for a Burgundian look with studded armor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CommissarM. Could be. To my eye it looked very wrong. But what do I know?

      Delete
  4. Fabulous! I know Nic from Eureka well (I grew up in Melbourne) and he failed to disclose those hidden WotR Treasures! I've just found your blog and your WotR adventures - stunning work. I am working on a Lancastrian force myself and really enjoying the project as something different. I just posted a small update for my army at my blog here: http://tasmancave.blogspot.com/2022/11/october-hobby-roundup-heresy-turnips.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul and thanks. Nic only told me about the figures because I mentioned I was doing Lancastrians. I left a message on the link above.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to hit him up at CanCon then! Thanks for the message - I have replied. Would be great to chat more in depth re WotR. cheers!

      Delete