Sunday 16 September 2018

Republican Roman Test

I haven't done much worth posting but, as it is, I'm back to painting 15mm ancients at the moment. I've painted up a bunch of phalagites to finish up my Successor pike blocks (they were three ranks deep but I wanted them 4 deep). I also finished up a unit of Thracians foot & Thessalonian horse.

I should take some photos and post them. Maybe when I've done more.

I also painted up a few 15mm Republican Romans that I was given a few years back just to see how they looked. I've been wanting Romans for a while because they fought everyone so they're rarely out of place. I did do some 28mm Cesarean Romans a while back but I decided to sell them as I prefer ancients in 15mm.

Anyway, I painted a few up. They were easy to paint but I wasn't happy with them. The consensus of the Collective Wargaming Mind of Nunawading Wargames Association decided the shields were too plain: and I agreed.


So I did a quick freehand design. It's not the best and I took all of 20 minutes out of my busy day to do them. But they do look better and I'll put more effort into them when I start these guys seriously.
I do have a mixed bunch of Xyston figures to get me going but I've ordered enough to make 2 legions. Looking at various rules it seems 4 bases of Hastati, 4 bases of Principe, 2 of triarii and 6 of Velite/militia constitute a legion. But I'm not convinced. I think double that is probably better. (I don't want crappy little battles. I want battles of epic proportions).


2 comments: