Monday 23 April 2018

To Re-Base or not to Re-Base?

Well, I decided to re-base my Ancient Greeks to bring them into line with most popular rules sets. I originally had them as 6 figures to a 40x40mm base. Even though this didn't look as compact as hoplite infantry should be, it did show off the paint work a bit better. But, after seeing my Macedonians in closer formation I thought my Greeks could benefit from re-basing too.

I also wanted to be able to use some of my hoplites as possible Greek Mercenaries along with my phalangites if needs be. So I thought it would be better to have them on similar bases. So I did this horrible time consuming and wasteful task.

Now I did have two armies - Athenian & Spartan, but after re-basing I lost about 25% of my units so I now have one large Greek phalanx. It looks like I'll have to add a few more tiny fellows to bring their numbers back up to scratch.

Another reason for re-basing them was so that I can use them for Mortem et Glorium which requires more bases for individual phalanx type units. But they can still be used for most other rules too.

Now I just have to re-base my light infantry. These should prove to be a lot easier and I'll end up with more units because I based them differently to most rules requirements. Should I also re-base my cavalry? The 40x40mm bases do look a bit too deep but if I do... That's for another day!

As is tradition: Spartans on the right...

... and the Athenians in the center and left.

Altogether and extra deep.

Now, with all of that said and done, I've also finished a couple of other things. Some Macedonian light infantry and a piece of scenery. The figures are once again from Xyston with shield transfers from Little Big Men Studios. The temple is from the Forged in Battle range.









1 comment: