Saturday 11 May 2024

Back From The un-Dead

 Greetings folks, it's been quite a while since I posted anything here. The reason for this is that I lost all interest in the wargaming side of my life and didn't do anything for quite a while. I did actually paint a brigade of 10mm English for the War of Spanish Succession but I never photographed them and never posted anything. I started painting some guns for them and that's where my interest ended.

But things have changed and I've hopped back on the wagon with a decision to look again at the solo zombie game I wrote during covid: Infection Z. I put it to rest for a while but now it is time to look at it again with fresh eyes. So here I am again, back from the dead with some undead.
Having lots of time to think I came up with a new concept. One of the problems I was having with the game was discerning Active zombies from Inactive zombies. This is important to the game because active zombies react differently to inactive ones. The solution I've come up with is really very simple. Inactive zombies are grey. When they meet the criteria to become active they are replaced by a fully painted zombie figure. They might get replaced straight off the mark before the first turn even begins or they may remain inactive for the whole game.
As it is, it's nothing to write home about but the concept has changed a whole raft of rules that were making the game difficult to write up as rules. I understood what I wanted but when trying to write the concepts they seemed convoluted, confusing and overblown. This idea has helped streamline a lot of these issues.

Painting these guys also gave me a very simple little project that I could start and complete in a couple of days (I had to let the black wash dry overnight). This was good as it got me back upstairs and into the hobby room. A couple of weeks back I took a bunch of stuff to a bring & buy. In amongst the stuff I found a bag of unpainted zombies. I pulled them out and put them aside, and that got me thinking. 
There are 36 zeds here. To place them on the table for my game it's a matter of dropping them and where they land is where they start the game. I'm not too precious about plastic zed-heads, even my painted ones live in a box all jumbled together. I do have some metal figures and I do take care of them but these guys are for dropping and standing them up.
I also dug out this mini-supermarket building that I started making a couple of years back. I started and then got bored with it. I've decided to finish it off. It takes a surprising amount of time to make these terrain pieces look nice and then semi-destroy them to make them look derelict. But the results are worth the effort. I've made a few in the past, some MDF models like this one and some from scratch.
The kit is from Sarissa Precision and it comes with a service counter and a couple of small shelves. I made the larger shelves with thick card. There's enough shelving to make it look like a proper mini-mart and to enable easy placement and movement of figures as well as plenty of places to scavenge for potential loot.
Well that's it. Something small to get me back into my hobby. I'll finish off the guns for the 10mm WSS English in the next few days and take some photos.

Bye.



8 comments:

  1. Active and inactive zombies sounds like a great idea Ian. And depicting them with different coloured zombies is very clever!

    I am glad you are getting back into the hobby room. I also find a small & quick project can get me going again. The mini-mart looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really lost interest and just didn't want to touch a figure or paint or anything. And the thing is... I was missing it too!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan. It's good to be back!

      Delete
  3. Grey zombies as markers is a very good way to do this, as there is pretty much zero painting time in getting an effective bunch if 3d markers together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. They are little more than markers but they look far better than tokens or dice. And yes... It took me about 3 hours all up to paint 36 grey zombies.

      Delete
  4. Random casualty figures are also good for inactive zombies. I did a WW1 zombie game once and had dead bodies everywhere- on a dice roll those within range of the living would activate. It looked pretty cool, but then I had to paint up a pile of dead bodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I'll have to try and source some 28mm civilian dead. They can give a: "Maybe they are or maybe they're not," aspect to a game. I do have a mechanism for previously unseen zombies jumping out called Lurkers. Where ever your characters are; these zeds can jump out and possibly get you by surprise.

      Delete