Monday 12 December 2022

A Little Post ~ 6mm WWII

I've been toying with the idea of 6mm WWII for O Group but I've been put off by several reasons. One reason is that good quality 6mm seems expensive to me. It also comes from the U.S. and the postage from the U.S. to Australia is usually exorbitant. I know there are cheaper alternatives but to me they look like rubbish.

However, I recently saw a comparison of 6mm WWII armour on Facebook and I was impressed by a company called 2d6 Wargaming. I looked at their web store and they were well priced. They had an inexpensive WWII German infantry company. So I ordered one with a couple of armoured vehicles for a test run.
They took a while to get to me but when they did I was quite pleased with them. They are nice little figures. I ordered 2 Pz IV's and a Panther which are superbly detailed and well cast. The infantry have enough detail to be able to discern what they're supposed to be. I didn't bother painting much detail on them but it is there if you want to paint it. 

There are enough infantry for a square company of 4 platoons with heavy weapons (2x MMG and 2 x 81mm mortars. There is also a strip for a Company HQ with officers & radios as well as 4 platoon HQ strips with an officer, 2 x NCO's and a 50mm mortar. I didn't make these up as HQ bases. I just included several of the figures in the section bases.
Above is a platoon of 3 infantry sections plus an attached MMG. Each base is 50mm x 25mm.
The Company HQ base with an added 50mm mortar.
The MMG sections.
The armour. 2 x Pz IVH's and a Panther (Ausf G I think).

They came out very nice and were very easy to paint. I think I spent more time on the bases than I did painting the actual models. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm still not sure if I should pursue 6mm for O Group but these 2d6 models are nice and they make the decision more difficult. I have a lot of 20mm but going down the 6mm path would make for a better game on a 6'x4' table. It would make the battlefield a lot larger but I'd have to invest in 6mm terrain. That wouldn't be too much cost wise but it would take time to gather, so I'm still not sure.



7 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. I have lots of 20mm WW2 but got some 6mm a while ago. Whipped up some terrain to play on a 2'x2' and have done that occasionally. Playing on a larger table would look really great but it is taking the time to expand the 6mm terrain, and improving it, that does me down. And the fact my 20mm and terrain are better than what I currently have in 6mm. So my motivation keeps drifting to 20mm for large games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly my thinking. But a table with a couple of nice little towns/villages, woods, rivers and roads in 6mm would look so good... Maybe even building up to a 6mm city... It's a dilemma.

      Delete
  2. It’s good that you can buy the vehicles as singles rather than being forced into the multi-pack of 5 tanks per pack etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That too Norm. Especially when you want to try them out like me. Nothing worse that spending big on a project and then finding you don't like it. I got bitten on a 28mm WSS project like that.

      Delete
  3. They look great Ian. I have had 6mm WW2 armies since the 70's plus homemade terrain as well. Unfortunately the 70's is the last time I have ever used them as well. 😁
    I look forward to fixing that when I retire.
    I do like the 6mm scale for more modern wars. The scale of distances for vehicles to move and fire seems much better. Especially if you want to have lots of toys on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. I'm thinking the same thing but I started wargaming with Airfix figures and 20mm seem right to me. If I do go 6mm I could always "Re-Base" and use my 20mm for other games.
      The temptation is very real and it's hooking its claws in...

      Delete
    2. It is hard to go past the old Airfix stuff and a decade ago I enjoyed building armies for an alt-history WW1. My WW2 Airfix is also hiding in a box in the play room. 😁but it is painted woefully so the old 6mm will get the nod for me.

      Delete