Saturday 19 November 2022

A Bunch of Percy's

There has been a bit of a slowdown in my Wars of the Roses output due to indecision and delving into Napoleonic's again. But I haven't been idle and I've finished a retinue for Sir Henry Percy the Earl of Northumberland. 

I've only done finished one band of retinue bill and bow and one of men-at-arms. However, because the Percy's were very active on the northern boarders I've decided to make some prickers (light cavalry lancers) for him too but they're still on the paint bench at the moment.
Included in this retinue are a couple of Empress Miniatures that I picked up from Eureka Miniatures. These are nice, well sculpted figures and they've been re-issued due to popular demand. I added this guy in the classic "rude archer" pose and there is another hidden elsewhere. These figures match very well with the Perry plastics.
I decided to make the Earl on a mounted command base. The figure on the right (as in the pic below) is the Perry's metal Somerset figure. I demoted him and made him a standard bearer because I already have a Somerset on foot. The Earl and the other standard bearer are Perry plastics.
I wasn't keen on attempting his tabard but the base would have looked a bit blasé if I just did him in red and black so I summoned up the courage and did it. It's not the best but it looks reasonable and recognisable at arms length. I wasn't sure about the flags either and thought about putting the coat of arms on the men-at-arms base. I painted an extra standard bearer figure for it but left him off in the end.
So there you go. I now have a Percy to add to my Lancastrian array. And speaking of my array, I decided to lay it all out to see what it looks like on the table. As far as I'm concerned they now look like an army. I don't know how many figures there are but there must close to about two hundred and fifty.
I like that there are plenty of banners flying because I thought I was lacking a bit in the banner department but it's not as empty as I thought.
Thanks for reading.

Cheers for now.

8 comments:

  1. If you go on wargaming at the Outpost GY Facebook group there are sheets of free flags ready to print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Didn't know this was your blog which I shall now follow!

      Delete
  2. That is an imposing army there Ian and very nicely done as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. I'm really happy with them and I've enjoyed painting every single figure.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful looking army and the banners add lost of colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. All that colour is one of the greatest things about the medieval period.

      Delete