Friday 24 December 2021

Have a Very Orcish Christmas

Well it's Christmas Eve and here am I posting uninteresting photo's of little plastic figures. Tomorrow I'm heading to church nice and early to play Christmas Carols so I won't be having a late night of uncontrolled partying. Alackaday!

I bought a box of Wargames Atlantic Goblins
They're not bad figures but they do have a few issues as far as I'm concerned. First of all: they don't fit together very well. I had to drill their arm sockets to get a good fit with the arms. This was a pretty easy task but it was annoying. Secondly, there are two figures on each sprue without bases. These are supposed to be used as riders for the WgA giant spiders but it would have been nice to have a couple of bases added to the sprue. Third: there are not spears on the sprue. I used Oathmark spears cut off at the wrist and fixed them to some sword arms to make up numbers. 

On the positive side; they look great when they're painted up. There are a lot of really nice orcish heads in the box and a good selection of other weapon arms. The bows and quivers look nice but there are no hands actually drawing arrows, which is a shame. I'll have to do more kit bashing.
I painted them up with brownish skin to differentiate them from my Oathmark goblins and I like this look. I also mounted them four to a base more in line with standard heavy infantry units instead of my goblin warbands (3 to a base). I also used some extra Oathmark shields because I don't like most of the shields in the box. All in all they are a nice kit and I'll make some more soon.

Oathmark Wolf Riders

I took my time to get a box of these because I don't think they're very good. Anyway, I wanted some light cavalry for my goblins so I got a box and they came out okay. The riders are okay and I used some of the WgA goblin heads for some of them. I'm not keen on the wolves. They are far too big and they look like cartoon figures with a serious lack of detail. I mean... They're bigger than most 28mm horses! They also need a fair bit of prep before they're ready for painting. 
They come 15 to a box but I want units of 6 or 12. With the next lot that I make I think I'll mount the extra 3 figures sitting pillion behind the front rider and firing bows from the back seat.
Well that's it. It's getting late and A Christmas Carol is on the tv. 

Merry Christmas dear reader and a Happy New Year to you.

 


4 comments:

  1. Lovely looking greenskins!
    Marry Christmas and a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice orcs.
    Merry Christmas!
    All the best, Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karl. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you!

      Delete