Wednesday 17 November 2021

Αντίο φίλοι μου

A quick post to say farewell to my beloved Ancient Greek hoplites. This was the first ancient army I made and it was a labour of love. I really like this army but, as with many of the troops I make, they sit in a box, on a shelf and don't get onto the wargaming table often enough. They've had a few battles but the last time they were out was about 5 years back. I'd rather see them being used for what I made them for.

So now they're moving on but... I still have my other Greek army - Macedonian Successors with lots of pikes!
The majority of these figures are AB Miniatures with a few Xyston thrown in. The reason for this is because I could visit Eureka Miniatures each week at the time and pick the AB's up directly. They're lovely little figures.
Spartans on the right. Armoured Athenians in the centre and poorer, unarmoured hoplites on the left.
When I made this army I didn't know that you could buy shield decals for 15mm. So I painted all the shields by hand. Some of the early ones are a bit rough but I got better and, in my opinion, I did a few really good ones towards the end.

So goodbye my little hoplites. Go and defend your homes and families from the Persian's once again.

4 comments:

  1. Oh! What a great looking collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly an impressive sight. Sorry to see them go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. But better to be on the wargaming table rather than sitting in a box in the dark. Besides, as I mentioned I still have my Successors which make up an even bigger phalanx.

      Delete