Sunday 21 March 2021

Frostgrave ~ We're Back to Plunder You!

Now that we're able to get together again, Nunawading Wargames Association was up and running on the weekend with several wargames happening. I played a game of Frostgrave prior to the restart of our campaign that was curtailed last year.

I played against Ants, pitting my summoner, Mandrax against his Witch (who's name I didn't get). So I lugged a car full of terrain, and a hundred odd figures and monsters to our venue and set up a couple of tables.

It was a great game but I won't be posting a full battle report. Instead I'll mention some of the highlights.
Very early in the game (turn two I think), I shot Ants' witch with a an arrow from my ranger (Rolf Undersack the halfling). The shot hit and inflicted a wound. I next shot her with a Bone Dart spell from my wizard and killed her. That wasn't expected. But at least she was okay after the game when rolling to see who survived.
This is my apprentice moving up with the ranger Rolf Undersack,  who shot at the witch.
As my treasure hunter, Helga, approached a treasure an imp appeared to make life difficult. This was the first of a few imps that Ants threw at my guys. Helga killed it pretty easily and managed to grab the treasure. She made it off the table but not before being attacked by a Ghoul (random creature).
Ants' thief climbed a pillar to grab another treasure and posed at the top for a great photo opportunity (he must have known the cameras were rolling).
At the start of the game my wizard cast a Summon Demon spell but only summoned an imp which I tried to get killed off as soon as possible so I could try and summon something bigger. Later, the apprentice summoned a minor demon which is bigger and tougher. Below it's fighting another imp that was cast by the witch's apprentice.
My tracker making her way to another treasure token.
Wandering monsters. Neither of us had a miniature for a construct  so we used a dog "constructed" with three heads by someone with a sick sense of humour. It attacked one of my thugs and killed him.
Threatened by an annoying crow my wizard summoned a demon to deal with it now that his imp was dead. I rolled well and decided to sacrifice 3 health points to power up the spell and summon a major demon (just because I wanted to put it on the table). It looked ludicrous and made us laugh so it was worth it.
My apprentice's minor demon killed the imp fighting it and then tackled the construct, which it got rid of pretty easily.
My wizard Mandrax and his new pet demon.
We rolled a random creature and it tuned out to be a pair of ice spiders that came on the table right behind his apprentice. Unfortunately, they scuttled up behind the apprentice and killed her. 
Even though my demon looked intimidating it didn't do very much. But it looked good. Ant's archer shot it and did a decent bit of damage. I pulled the demon back and the archer got bragging rights. At the pub later that evening he could rightly claim that, with a single arrow, the forced a major demon to run away.
In the end I had a good game and Ants had a shocker. I lost two thugs compared to his wizard and apprentice. I took three treasures from the table and gained four levels. Ants gained two treasures and one or two levels. One of the treasures I gained was a grimoire with the spell: Imp! I decided to learn it so that in the future I too can throw evil little imps at people from across the table.


4 comments:

  1. Great to see new game!
    Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. It's good to play against an opponent again.

      Delete
  2. Good news that you can get out there and start gaming again. Looks like you got off to a flying start. Once again, your photos really build up the picture of an exciting and atmospheric game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Odo. My next gain is Napoleonics which is one of my favorite periods but I rarely get to play.

      Delete