Wednesday 10 February 2021

A Bit of This and a Bit of That

The year moves onward and we all hurtle inevitably towards our destined demise. So I just keep painting figures for the simple pleasure of painting them. I have no real goal in mind at the moment. I'm pretty much painting whatever miniatures I dig up out of my reserves or a figure might attract me if I see it hanging from a hook in a shop or, occasionally there might be a purpose.

Whatever the reason: I keep painting.

So, what have I got today? 

This one is a metal elf lord from the Oathmark Elf Light Infantry Command Set. It's an interesting figure but I would have preferred his shield in his hand rather than on his back. His empty left hand looks odd and so does the shield on his back. It looks like he's wishing that he had his shield in his hand. Other than that, it's quite a nice figure and it painted up very easily. I like that the Oathmark metal figures. They are simple & not too busy and don't have a whole lot of useless detail. A nice clean sculpt.

I used the same homemade decal that I used on
the other elf light infantry figures I did last year.
This is one of the "Adventurer" figures from the Mantic Terrain Crate. It's not a bad figure but I think it's the best of a pretty dull group. They are so dull that I can't remember what the other figures are. The figure is nicely detailed and it stands the correct height but it's a bit small and dainty. I also needed to do some greenstuff work on the front armour due to poor moulding. It came out okay but my crappy photography doesn't capture the various shades of red I used on different areas of the figure.
Giant Leaches ~ These are from Reaper Bones. I was looking for pair of snakes but these will have to substitute. They were cheap and they look nasty and they'll do. They're also generic enough that they can stand in for various other crawly creatures where and when needed. The 25mm bases are integral to the figure and I would have preferred a larger base. But they would have been really difficult to cut off so they had to stay.

More pieces from the Terrain Crate: This is a dwarf kings throne. It's a nice little piece. I decided to paint it really simply but I could have added some nice detail (gems on the rear/back). But I chose not to. Also some basic dungeon doors. Nothing special about them but they look good.
These are a bit of a mix of Mantic and WizKids pieces. All of the larger pieces at the back are mantic.  I can't remember what is what with the rest. They'll look good on the table to liven up a scene.

And that's it for my most recent bunch of stuff. I might paint more fantasy in the next few days and then move on to getting my ancient 15mm Iberians done. A friend Pete has got me interested in doing ancients again so maybe the time has come to move away from fantasy for the time being.


2 comments: