Tuesday, 29 September 2026

The Hairy Kraken Sails Again

Yesterday I played my first game in a long time. I was invited to play a pirate game. The club that I attend use to put on a massive pirate game every year at the end of September called Pirates in September. I played a major role in several of the events but gave it up a few years back. But I was invited to yesterdays game and I had a great time.

The event has been scaled down quite dramatically in recent years from about 40 odd captains and crew to just a few friends. But there was enough for a good game and plenty of laughter.

I reverted to my old captain persona of Don h'Emmingo - the Spanish scourge of the seven table-tops (my surname is Hemmings). I gave my ship and pirates to a friend a few years back so I only have a bunch of marines but I didn't have any pirate crew so I had to borrow some for my basic crewmen. My ship is The Hairy Kraken and I got to use it again.

The Kraken Archipelago: Where every scurvy dog that ever sailed on top of a billiard table will eventually meet his fate.
The view from the crow's nest.
Captain Don h'Emmingo once again, strides around the poop deck.

My mission for the game was to rescue Capt, Johnny Finch from Turtle Island (far left) and sail off the edge of the table. Unfortunately, I was to start on the opposite table edge.

Below is Peter's ship. He doesn't know it yet, but he's not about to have a good game. 
As well as other pirates to contend with there were other hazards that could pop up depending on the dice roll. One of these was The Kraken, which could erupt out of the sea and randomly attack any ship.
I drew first blood for the game when my lookout in the crows nest took careful aim and shot one of Peter's crewmen as we sailed past. The first of many he was to lose during the course of the day.

When sailing between the islands the walkways were ignored by ships although figures could walk over them.

I managed to sail past a couple of pirates and only lost one crew member to shooting (even though I was the main instigator of most of the violence). I got into the archipelago and was on my way to an easy win.
L - R: Peter, Robin, John, Gary, and Steve (Darryl is off camera).
As I was about to sail to victory I was hit by the other peril of the game: The Maelstrom. After three turns of floundering my ship was turned 180degrees and headed back in to the archipelago and I had to navigate a new rout to Turtle Island.
I eventually got to Turtle Island after my journey across the table.
The elusive Darryl watches on. His ship started out, sailed a bit, got hit by the maelstrom, spun around, sailed again, got hit by another maelstrom and spun around again and finished the game about half a move from where he started.
I rescued the stranded Captain Finch and... Robin's ship sailed off the opposite table edge and he won the game. In the next turn The Hairy Kraken sailed off the table and I came in at a close second. 
Below is Peters ship and his remaining crew. His crew got to the island, found the buried treasure, and got it back onboard ship. He was shot at with musket and canon, The Kraken attacked him twice and by the end of the game only the captain was left standing, stranded on his half sunken ship.

It was a great game and I'm glad I took part. It was great to get back to flexing the tape measure and rolling some dice. I was invited by my friend Michael who organised and umpired the whole event.









No comments:

Post a Comment