Monday 25 December 2023

A Brigade of Dragoons for The Sun King

I finished painting these chaps a few days before Christmas but I didn't do their flags until last night after a day of eating and greeting. These little fellows make up a small dragoon brigade for my War of Spanish Succession French. Once again, they are 10mm Pendraken figures and, as you can see, I've done them both mounted and on foot (with a base of horse holders).
The yellow facings are Regiment de Fontbeausard and the green is Regiment de la Vrilliere. They are both from Fontbeausard's Dragoon Brigade commanded by Comte de Dreux at Blenheim. I don't have any more mounted dragoons but I have enough left over to make another couple more dismounted regiments; so I'll do a dismounted dragoon brigade sometime time in the future.
I'm going to stop building this little army for the time being. I got a package from Pendraken last week with the troops for my Grand Alliance army (roughly equal in size but a bit more infantry if I recall correctly) but I've decided to wait on a couple of deliveries of some books on uniforms and organisation before I tackle these chaps. I'm of the opinion that I should base the Dutch and British differently: 5 figures to a base and 7 bases to a unit to represent the larger battalions in longer, less deep, 3 rank deployment. When I read a bit more I'll make a decision on that score.

In the meanwhile I intend to get some Napoleonic 28mm Prussian cavalry done or maybe I'll try my hand at 10mm French Napoleonic's. I'm also still trying to determine what to do with the little houses in the background. I think they could make great village pieces with a bit of work.


2 comments:

  1. You have put me to shame, I had the time on Christmas evening to add brass paint to a French battalion, to complete them and decided instead to be lazy after a day of festivity!

    The figures look very eye catching in their red / yellow uniforms. The buildings remind me of the very successful Hovels range, a lot of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, the dragoon uniforms are really colourful and stand out against the mainly grey coats of the rest of the army. No need to feel ashamed. I'm just too boring to do anything else with my time.

      Delete