Wednesday 18 October 2023

S'Been a Long Time Since I Rock and Rolled

"S'been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time. 
It sure has..."

Yes It has been a long time since I last posted anything. There are a couple of reasons for this but the main reason is that I lost my wargaming mojo somewhere along the line. I started out on two re-basing projects that saw me rebasing about 400+ elves and goblins from multi-bases onto single 25mm round bases and about 200 Wars of the Roses figures from multi-bases to 20mm squares. Then, when I was finished, I just lost interest. 

There are a couple of reasons for this. I started falling out of love with WWII wargaming. This was where I started this hobby way back in 1975 with Bruce Quarrie's Airfix Guide No:15. This came as a bit of a blow and really knocked the wind out of my sails. It's also my opinion that the wargaming club that I've been a member of for the past 20 odd years has been managed like some sort corporate entity for the past 12 months. I don't like this. It makes me want to stay away. There seems to be no heart anymore and it doesn't feel like the club I liked being a part of. It's just a place to set up a table now. I find that sad and I can't be bothered.

So that's reason #1. The other reason is detailed below.

However, In the past couple of weeks I started doing some conversions with some plastic kits and came up with two new units. Here they are:

Light infantry elves with javelins. They are from the Light Elf Infantry box from Oathmark. The javelin hands and shields are from the Wargames Atlantic Dark Age Irish box. They came out pretty nicely. I only did one unit of 12. I do have another unit of armed the same but with a different colour scheme so these guys will go well with them.

Next is a unit of undead archers. These are Oathmark Revenants with bows from the Wargames Atlantic Goblins box. The right arms are from the same set but I also used some hands from the Oathmark Orc set (the hands holding arrows). I think their quivers also came from the Oathmark Orcs box. I think these came out really well and, if I have enough parts, I might make another unit of these chaps. 

And here's the #2 reason my me not posting as often as normal:
I've been putting a fair bit of my time and energy into playing music. I've been in a band for quite a while but I also got together with my old school friends that I first started playing music with over 40 years ago. We have a new band called 40 Years Later... So I'm in two bands currently. I've also been recording a bunch of worship songs for a cd release sometime in the new year. So music has been taking up a lot of space in my life.

Here's my band Old Tin Shed playing a gig in the coastal town of Wonthaggi in Victoria. And yes... I need a haircut.
Also, click hers and have a look: Old Tin Shed

So there you have it. I'm currently painting some hobelars for my Lancastrian army so I'm sort of getting my mojo back, or at least I'm trying to maintain a minimum level of productivity to help keep my wargaming spirits up.

10 comments:

  1. Think we’ve all been through the lost mojo stage (sometimes several times). Blogging only seems to add to the problem for me. Best thing to do is what you’ve done…walk away and let it creep back up on you. Lol. Some lovely units you’ve done there. The models will still be waiting when your interest is rekindled. Go and enjoy your music for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might be a matter of finding something that really grabs my attention. Building fantasy armies is something I really like but the lack of a good set of big battle rules stifles the effort involved.

      Delete
  2. Those revenants look quite good.

    Post when you can. Looking forward to the hobelars, and rock on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks El Grego. I'm really happy with them. As mentioned, if I have enough parts I'll make more.

      Delete
  3. Nice units and good to see you wanting to model and post. Music or any creative pastime / activity does eat up a lot of time …. Good :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. It is true what you say. I don't want my enjoyment of wargaming to go by the wayside if I can help it. Small projects to keep up the morale should keep things going.

      Delete
  4. Your figures look amazing! It is good to have many different interests. I, too, was a musician in a past life. Played in bands as a career early on. Great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I studied music when I left school and did it professionally for a while. Then I joined the army for a number of years. I've been playing again for several years now and enjoying it just for the joy of playing and performing.

      Delete
  5. Great sounding band Ian! Lots more groupies in music than in wargaming I think 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too sure about that. Thanks Ben.

      Delete