Monday 6 March 2023

First WSS Brigade or My New Obsession With 10mm

I've continued with painting up my 10mm War of Spanish Succession troops (Pendraken Miniatures) and I've finished my first brigade ~ Montmorency's brigade at Blenheim. I think I've mentioned it previously, but the reason I selected this brigade is because the suburb right next to where I live in Melbourne is called Montmorency. I grew up in this area (and moved back after many years serving in the Australian Army) so the name and place are very familiar to me.
I love this scale. The only issue I have is that I have to order all the figures from the UK because there are no distributors that I know of in Australia. But that's no real problem. I just have to order large and wait on the flippancy of Australia Post.
I did order a box of Van Dyck miniatures but I have issues with them. Let me expound: The VD miniatures are fantastic and incredibly detailed as you can see by the command figure below. However, I've been trying to paint an infantry battalion and I' just can't do it. The figures are so detailed at 12mm (and: No! They do not scale with Pendraken 10's) that I can't see them well enough to paint them properly. The mounted officer below was easier as a single figure but 30 infantry figures lined up on tongue depressors are beyond what my eyesight can manage these days. (I wear two separate pairs of glasses in order to see both distance and close up. My eye's ain't what they once was.)
Anyway, enough of my whinging.
I love the look of these battalions. The figures are pretty basic but on mass they look fabulous. I'm still sticking with the oversize flags and the VD officer figure sits well with them. He's a bit larger but he is the commander and he is separate so the difference isn't really noticeable.
The two new battalions are 1st Bearn and 1st Vermandois. 
1st Bearn. I'm not really keen on this marching pose for these figures. It's okay but looks a bit off to my eye. I've ordered more from Pendraken but this time I've opted for the march attack pose (below) and a mix of figures to make up some nice looking firing lines.
1st Vermandois: The same march attack pose I used on a previous battalion (1st Bourbon) but this time I didn't snip off their bayonets and they look much better for it.
So that completes my first brigade. I still have figures from my initial order (French army pack) that I can get stuck into before the next lot arrive. I prepped a couple of cannon last night and they look like they won't take too much effort so I should have them finished quick smart. After that: some horse!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soooo... Van Dyck miniatures... Those infantry are just beyond the limits of my eyesight - and, before you ask, I do use a head set with magnifying lenses when I paint. I am going to press on ahead with painting up some of them but I just don't think they're going to work out, which is a real shame. If they do work out okay I'll use them for the Guard Française or something.


15 comments:

  1. Excellent work and the flags look good - they really do make the table when all the units are laid out. I also looked at the van Dyke figiures but had heard they were too big size wise for Pendraken. I've only done one test unit - which I loved - but need to hold off further work until the 6mm Napoleonics are finished.

    BTW, my Pendraken order for these was one order that I forced to sit just under what Australian Customs may have been tempted to charge duty on. Came pretty quickly.

    What rules are you considering?
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. I've been good. I've ordered enough to keep me busy for a while and when I come close to finishing I'll make another order - Most likely British in order to get an opposing force underway that I can also use for other campaigns (Jacobite stuff etc..)

      Delete
  2. It is a shame that your eyes cannot focus enough to paint the Van Dyke figures. They are little works of art. I had trouble too but my eyes and hand adjusted to painting the miniscule details. The range is expanding too. I like the figures a lot but they are quite expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'll go back to them Jonathan. I think I was just a bit thrown off by them. I need to think of the 3 Foot Rule and keep my mind focused on painting them fast with a minor level of accuracy without getting bogged down by the detail.

      Delete
  3. Lovely unit. I fully understand what you mean about Van Dyke, i am finding similar with Warlord Epic - there is a lot of crisp detail there and you are tempted to paint it all and when painted they look splendid, but I think the scale is all about numbers rather than individual beauties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Norm. I've diverted my attention to some gun models and I'm not being too fussy on being so accurate. I think it might be that because there is a lot of detail I feel obliged to paint it. I need to exorcize that thinking out of my system.

      Delete
  4. You are a very talented painter Ian and I can vaguely understand your problem with detailed figures. 😊 For me the Pendraken figures have too much detail and I only paint what I can see from 3 meters - it is the 3 meter rule right? 😁
    After painting the Montmorency regiment you didn't think of painting a Yallambie or Greensborough one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in St Helena, closer to Nth Eltham so I might concentrate on that brigade next. And, by the way, the suburb of St Helena had very close Napoleonic ties. The original owner of the farm that became the suburb was one of the Emperors gaolers.

      Delete
    2. That is cool about St Helena and that would be a great name for a brigade. Not so sure about Nth Eltham, sounds like a football club. 😊

      Delete
  5. Very nice work on both manufacturers Ian - shame about the Van Dyke ones but as you say, you may go back to them again in the future. I think I would have the same issue ie if the sculptor is able to put the detail into a figure that size, I should at least be able to paint it! Probably a silly way to look at it, but there you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rross. I don't know if I unconsciously see the detail as a challenge or that I just naturally want to pay respect to the skill of the sculptor.

      Delete
  6. Fine looking brigade Ian and such top painting, with plenty of detail at the scale. The large units look beaut. They make the brigade looks like a substantial force.
    I agree, that marching pose does look a 'bit off'—as though they are running. The march attack is much better.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I do prefer the larger Battalions. I'm just hoping that I can find a set of rules that works for them. Otherwise I'll have to write my own rules (and I'm not keen on doing that).

      Delete