Monday 26 October 2020

2020 ~ Three Armies and a New One?

I've been wondering how many figures I've painted so far this year, but I have no idea. I've painted a lot but I only have a rough idea. I've mainly worked on 28mm fantasy but I've also done a bunch of ancient 15mm too. Really I don't know how may I've painted but I do know that I've painted - at least - three fantasy armies. I started getting back into fantasy late in 2019 with my Army of the Earlking but that's not included here.

#1 - Elves

Lots of Spearmen (spearelves?), plenty of archers, swordsmen in a warband, skirmish bows, light chariots, eagles, bolt throwers and heavy cavalry (not too sure if these guys fit in with the rest). They have plenty of commanders and heroes. I'm not sure if the spears should be organised as a phalanx or a shieldwall. I'm also currently painting another dozen spearmen which should be finished in the next couple of days.

#2 - Evil Doers
Lots of mixed weapon orc infantry, lots of skirmish archers, a pack of wolves, a gang of ogres, heavy cavalry (orcs on wild boars), giant spiders (as light cavalry). I could add a unit of werewolves if I want but I'm not sure. I have a lack of heroes and commanders for this lot.

#3 - Undead
At this stage this isn't a huge army but I have another 50 or 60 of the ghostly/phantom/basic undead troops (or whatever they're called) that will be added some time soon.. It's a perfect 8 point force for SAGA, Age of Magic. There's a bunch of basic ghost dudes, heavy cavalry, bigger ghostly things, wraiths, behold... a Pale Rider!, and a bone dragon. As with the evil doers above, I could add a unit of werewolves if I want.

#4 - A New Begining

I bought a pack of Oathmark dwarf characters. They're very nice figures and this lead me into buying a box of plastic dwarves. Now it looks like I'm going to build a dwarf army. Why am I doing this? I've talked myself into it.
Am I demented?

Here's some pics of the three characters.

Bonus Army

Now that I think of it, I could also add my Grandbretan troops but I haven't really done enough of them to constitute an army at this stage. I have posted them previously and I did paint them this year. I intend to do a whole lot more of them some time soon so here they are just to give some context. 
There's a few more things that go with these guys like the piggy archers below but these are the basic bones that I've done so far. Like may other things that I've been painting this year... I don't really know what to do with them.

So that's 3.5 armies so far this year and the beginning of another. When it comes down to it I'll soon have 6 Fantasy armies. I can also add a few fantasy elements to my Dark Age Anglo-Saxons and medieval armies to create another two armies for a total of 8 possible fantasy armies. 

See what you can do when you're locked up with the plague!

P.S. I wish I could find a good set of Big Fantasy Battle rules to use all these figures.

2 comments:

  1. That is impressive output and all so beautifully painted.
    Over on 'Jay's Wargaming Madness' he has posted rules and playtest of a middle earth set. Not sure whether they would be of interest?
    (http://jayswargamingmadness.blogspot.com/2020/10/middle-earth-battles-beta-rules.html)
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, they look really interesting. I'downloaded them and I'll have a read later on.
      Cheers,
      IanKH

      Delete