Tuesday 2 April 2019

Preparing for the Siege pt10 - 1st Test

I set up the Siege of Rhodes today and played through a few turns to come to grips with the rules.

They work well. Although I am going to make some tweaks - Mainly concerning light artillery and some of my naval rules need some adjustment to make them work in line with Age of Hannibal.

Most of the turns I played involved a lot of shooting but I landed some marines, did a couple of assaults on the walls as well as a couple of naval boarding actions. From what I've worked out: assault ladders are fickle and it's easy to lose dramatically. Battering the walls down with stone throwers looks like a more attractive alternative. I got one siege tower in place and it worked very well, driving the enemy off the walls and gaining a toehold.

The siege ships are dangerous even after they drew a lot of enemy fire they still managed to batter away at the walls pretty effectively.

One thing that really became noticeable is the Moral Clock mechanism in AoH. It really makes you coordinate & concentrate your efforts. You can't do everything at once. To be successful it will be a matter of the Antigonid player/s breaking down their maneuvers and conducting them one or two at a time.

I didn't keep track of things turn by turn. The object of this little game was to test the rules.

The Antigonid assault fleet.
 The Rhodian fleet under blockade.

 Demetrius' left flank.

 The Acropolis of Rhodes
 The gods look down.
 Defenders on the land gate.
 Demetrius's center.

 The first failed assault on the wall.
 More success on the right ~ Thracian peltasts clear the wall.
 The Antigonid fleet batter the harbour defences.
 The ram is almost at the gate.

5 comments:

  1. Truly spectacular seeing it all come together like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aquahog, I was the first time for me to see it all working together.

      Delete
  2. I am awed by the effort this has taken and the enormity of your layout. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks UG. Unlike some projects I never got lost my way this one. Plenty of challenges but all within my skill level.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete