Sunday 6 January 2019

Preparing for the Siege ~ pt 3

Part 3 of my work on my 6mm Siege of Rhodes 305 BC.

I've made a bunch of walls and towers for the city and I've pretty much got the plan down but I'm still not 100% happy with the southern wall. But today's effort was really about getting the northern sea wall down so that I could cut out the shoreline.
I did a lot of thinking about how to make the mat and decided on a large piece of green marine mat that I've had for a long, long time. It was originally the covering of a gaming table that I made back in 2004. It was covered with lots of horrible marks from years of previous projects and it eventually became unstuck. So what you see is the pristine underside.

The walls and towers are all made from printed card. I made the designs from scratch using Photoshop and put them into pdf's for printing. I think there's about 60 pieces all up. They're easy to make, lightweight and pretty sturdy (for what they are. I did play with the idea of other methods and mediums but the sheer amount and variety of pieces made that impractical.



I also made the sea walls for the military harbour today. Designing them took about an hour and assembly took about another hour. So it was a pretty productive and easy process. In the pics you can see another thing sticking out of the shore. This is the Mole and will have a slightly larger fortified wall and tower (this part was constructed for defence prior to the siege and it became one of the major areas of contention.

The South Gatehouse.
The military harbour.
 The Harbour Gatehouse.
I'm not sure how I'll do the harbour itself. I want it to look paved but I also need it to be able to roll up for storage and transport.. This is a bit of a dilemma at present.

As for the sea, I'll be placing this big green piece on top of my crushed velvet sea mat.

Another problem I have is trying to remember how the whole bloody thing goes together. The pic below is how I set it out yesterday and I much prefer the way I set out the south west corner as compared to today. It's packed up now (so I can get my car back into the garage) but I'll set it up again tomorrow to see where I can improve it.
One thing I did differently today was to shift everything down the table (south) to give a bit more room for the naval action. And now I've cut it out so that's that!

And for those who might be interested, here are some images of the pdfs. I made for the city defences. There are about 10 or so different designs with various lengths and angles and so on. If you want them leave me a message and see about I'll sending them to you. I might eventually put them all together. annotate them and sell them as a set. Who knows?



2 comments:

  1. Fantastic work. Thanks for sharing the pdfs as well 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those walls. If you can send me the pdfs for them, I'd appreciate it (nicklemming at yahoo dot com). Also, who does the javelinmen in your new post? Are they rapier ones? If Baccus, can you tell me what code they are?

    ReplyDelete