Wednesday 21 October 2020

Pimpin' Yo Chariot

 As I've been building my elfin army during my extended plague lockdown, I've been wondering about cavalry. Cheap alternatives are non-existent. I've found some very nice metal figures but the Australian Dollar and the cost of getting them here is exorbitant. I can afford it but I just can't justify $100+ for six figures. It goes totally against my wargaming sensibilities. So I needed to look for alternatives.

I decided to make some chariots. I looked around for a while but couldn't really find what I wanted. I saw a nice Warlord Games, Egyptian Chariot Regiment. But I would have to get them from the UK and the cost would be huge again and I might have to wait months at the moment due to the post.

Anyway, I found these 4ground Egyptian Chariots. Each pack had two chariots for $9 AUD. So I ordered two packs. 
I had six horses still on their sprues from a Perry plastic War of the Roses or Hundred Years War kit and I decided to use these. They had saddles and reigns but they'd work okay after trimming the saddles a bit.
I used Oathmark Elves for the crews. I decided these would be light chariots and I'd make them into missile platforms. So I made up some figures to fit. I had to make the archers using all the same pose because fitting them into the chariot was going to be a real squeeze. At least the driver/shield bearers are all slightly different.
So I then came the painting. I decided to give all of the actual chariots the same colour scheme. However, I gave each set of horses individual panoply with matching quivers for the arrows.
Putting the things together was pain in the arse. I made the reigns out of wire by twisting two strands together. I then had to thread them though the hand of the driver and fit them to the yolk. Then I had to maneuver and set the crew so that both both figures fitted into the back.

After a lot of super-gluing, swearing and a few touch ups they were done. As far as I'm concerned they came out pretty nice and I'm really happy with them. So I now have a mobile element for my elves. 


10 comments:

  1. The chariots do look amazing! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. They were a challenge to make.

      Delete
  2. Nicely constructed chariots, they look very dashing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Hopefully they can dash onto the table and cause havoc.

      Delete
  3. Those look fantastic.....nice work !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pimped all right; they look magnificent!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I hope I can get them on the table soon.

      Delete