Thursday 1 October 2020

Another Blast From The Past

I was going through some old pics the other day from the years before I started this blog. I remembered that I posted some older pics earlier this year but I couldn't remember what I posted. So I looked back and saw that I posted a bunch pics of my Games Workshop fantasy armies. However, the pics I was looking at the other day were my 40K armies. So, as before, I'll post some pics of them.

One major difference between 40K and Warhammer Fantasy is that I actually played some games of 40K. I played maybe a dozen or more games and decided I really didn't like the people who were playing the game in my area. So I stopped playing it and sold all my stuff. That was a shame really because I really liked the stuff that I did at the time. I had 2 armies - A big bunch of Eldar and a Sisters of Battle. 

Eldar ~ These were the first GW figures I bought and, just so you know, I didn't start wargaming through GW. I started back in the 1970's with Airfix WWII models and figures, moved on to Napoleonic's and many, many board games. Then came D&D!

But, I started 40K with Eldar because I loved the models. I pretty much made two 2000 point armies: The first one was a foot-slogger army and the second was mobile. I did a lot of conversions and things with these troops but I can't really remember many details.

This was my Flying Circus Seer Council. The colours don't mean anything, I just wanted to do them in different colours. Each one was scratch build using a regular jet-bike.
I made this guy after watching Easy Rider again. I based him on the Peter Fonder "Captain America" character. I got ripped off with these figures. I had them in a store on a commission sale. But the store sold them and never gave me the money. They closed down shortly after.
My Farseer on a hover-board. I sculpted this guy and he came out looking okay. I was happy with him.
I converted the Avatar to make him bigger and more intimidating. I cut him in half, cut his limbs and other bits and sort of stretched him out a bit. I did the same with his arms to change their position and lengthen them. I pinned him back together again and then added a bunch of greenstuff. It made him about half an inch taller.
This one was a favorite - An Autarch on a jet-bike. He came out looking really nice.
Here's a bunch of terrible looking photos. The camera I had at the time was pretty basic. I think I took most of these when I was selling them.


Sisters of Battle ~ I chose this army because it seemed a bit strange. It had the actual Sisters', Sisters Repentia, Archoflagellants, Witch hunters with flamethrowers etc... Bizarre stuff. I don't have many photo's, which is a shame. I actually painted the armour on the sisters with layers and layers of red ink on top of a red base, so it had a really nice glassy quality. I put a lot of detail into these including mascara and eye shadow on most of the little ladies.
I didn't want to spend $90 on an Exorcist so I made my own by using a cheap Rhino, bits and pieces and some plastic piping. It came out okay.
Assassins - I scratch built some of these because they were hard to get. I can't remember if they were any good but they fitted in well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well that's it. I've painted many figures in the past and I have no pictures of them. It's a real shame because I put a lot of effort into each one of them. But, as I mentioned before, if I kept all of them I'd need a storeroom just to keep them all. Next time I'll have to post some of my old historical armies.



No comments:

Post a Comment