Wednesday 22 February 2023

10mm To The Rescue... I Hope!

Whilst perusing the internet I was made aware of Pendraken 10mm miniatures which I'd never heard of or seen them before. What really caught my eye was that they were for the Marlburian Era/War of Spanish Succession. This interested me even more because WSS is something I've been interested in for quite some time. Several years back I was going to do this period in 28mm but that fell through due to an intense dislike for painting the cavalry that I had purchased. Then, last year I toyed with the idea of 6mm but wasn't too blown away.

What about 10mm?
Well, I checked out the Pendraken website and considered for a short while before investing in one of their French Army sets (and a few extra horse). There were five x 30 figure battalions in the set so and I decided to paint up a couple of test cases. I decided to do Montmorency's brigade which is the same brigade I did the first time around in 28mm and then again in 10mm for my second attempt.
1st Battalion Bourbon 
I'm really impressed by them. They have a degree of detail considering their size but they are pretty easy to paint. I spent about 2 days on each battalion which are both 30 figures each. The command figures are from a separate set so I had a couple of left overs. For some reason the command sets only have 1 standard bearer per set and each battalion requires two. I ended up converting a couple of the chaps with their weapon at the high port into standard bearers.

I was very unsure how to base them and originally put the first battalion onto 50mm x 30mm bases with 10 figures per base. This had a nice footprint but the figures looked to spaced apart. With the second I put them onto 45x30mm bases and it looked better. So I rebased the first battalion to match. The line lost a bit of its width but I think it looks better overall. I chose to mount them on three wide bases. They always fought in line in this era and column was not use at all for manoeuvre on the battle field (maybe if assaulting across a bridge but that's about it).
1st Battalion Nivernais
However, I'm still not happy with the basing and I think I might end up rebasing again. I used some trimmed down plastic bases left over from some Perry sets but I'd rather go with 1.8mm mdf. I magnetised the bottom of the bases but I'm not sure if that's necessary or if I even like it.

My only real gripe is the lack of command figures. They are very, very limited. I made enquiries on LAF and it was suggested to look at Pedrakens other ranges to fill the gaps. Unfortunately before I received this advice I put in an order with VanDyke miniatures only to be told afterwards that they don't really match scale wise.

Also, I made the flags oversized too because I like the flags of this era. I don't care if that's historically inaccurate. I like them with big flags. These flags are the ones I originally designed in Photoshop for 28mm. I just shrunk them down to 20mm square.

Anyway, here's both battalions with their 6mm counterparts:
The 6mm's are from Irregular Miniatures. They have a really nice packed rank look but they lack detail and uniform details are one of the things that makes these armies look so appealing (along with the flags). These crappy little flags were hand painted. And it shows.
And just for fun, here they are again in 28mm:

If you want to know why I became disillusioned with WSS in 28mm read here. I lost complete interest in the whole thing and sold off all I had done at that time. I enjoyed painting the foot but I absolutely despised painting the horse. Considering the French army was about 30% to 50% horse, that was going to be an awful lot of misery as far as I was concerned.

But I'm loving these 10mm figures.

So far.

I haven't painted any horse yet.


13 comments:

  1. They are very nicely done. My last 10mm figures were done on 40mm x 20mm bases for infantry and 40mm by 25mm (or 30mm depending what is need) for cavalry and the same base sideways (30 x 40) for artillery.

    Kallistra do packs of plastic bases that fit this size, are robust and most importantly thinner than the MDF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice Norm. Luckily for me I have the Knights of Dice factory 10 minutes away and they do thin 1.8mm mdf bases and I can get custom sizes cut. Quite often I can order in the morning and pick them up at midday.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work as always sir!
    Warm regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael. Thank you very much. I'm not up to your standard though.

      Delete
  3. Big fan of Pendraken. Pretty much all of my stuff these days is 10mm. Their AWI range is excellent and there are plenty of command / flag holding chaps in the packs?! As Norm said - a lot of Kalistras ranges are compatible with Pendraken size wise. Thankfully the AWI doesn’t involve a lot of cavalry. I also hate painting horses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Broom Man. I can really see the attraction to 10mm - More detail tnan 6mm and just as easy to paint. I usually enjoy painting cavalry even though it takes time in 28mm but I just reall disliked those Ebor horses. The riders not so much. It was the horses that did me in.

      Delete
  4. For really large battles, 10mm is the way to go. My ACW armies are in 10mm and they work well. Mu 10mm ACW are mostly Old Glory. I have toyed with the notion of a 10mm WSS project and even bought a handful of Van Dyke figures as a test. The Van Dyke figures are superb but choice is limited. You say Van Dyke do not match up with Pendraken. In what way?

    Excellent brushwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan. Regarding Van Dyck... I don't know yet because they haven't arrived. I'm just going off what I've been told. If you have them and they look fine together that is great news. I'll happily field them in the same army if they will work together. It is what I intended to do after all.

      Delete
    2. I do not have any Pendraken figures so I look forward to your comparison.

      Delete
  5. Beautifully painted Ian. I am a real fan of 10mm and Pendraken. I think the size works great for battles, especially when you do not have a large table to play on. You can get lots of figures on a 4x6 table and still have room for manoeuvre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm hoping for Ben. But, if I manage to collect enough troops a larger table wouldn't be out of the question. Maybe one day...

      Delete
  6. Oh for Gods sake, everywhere I look, there are people extolling the benefits of 10mm, and the arguments are all pretty compelling! I am not starting work on another scale! These do look very nice and obviously, I can see the attraction of this scale. Oddly, I did a 28mm Swedish GNW force using Ebor figures a couple of years back and although I am not a big fan of painting horses either, I managed to get through them ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha... I'm sure you can find an new era to do in 10mm. Think hard and you'll find something. I just finished the full brigade and I'll post some stuff in the next couple of days.

      Delete