Tuesday 21 July 2020

A Troll, a Champion and Some Elves

I've been doing a bit more painting this week. I'm trying to get some of the bigger figures that I have waiting on the painting tables as well as getting some more elves ready for battle. Not that it makes much of a dent in the model-pile. But they do add to the numbers of troops waiting for another battle.

"Puny humans." Troll SMASH!
First is this ugly fellow. He's big and standing at about 3" (7.5cm).  I used him recently in a game and, as you can see in the above photo, he makes a pretty intimidating presence when on the table. The figure is yet another Reaper Black Bones. It's a good solid and hefty figure and if it was made in lead he'd weigh a ton and I could use him for doing a workout. I added the mushrooms and also some flock on his shoulders & back to make him look a bit more organic, as if he'd been sleeping under a bridge waiting for unsuspecting travelers.

I'm not sure what this figure is supposed to be. As I've been slowly building fantasy armies, I thought I might create separate Elf and Faerie Folk armies. This isn't anything definite but it's good enough a reason for me to collect more things and do some odd stuff. 

Anyway... this guy will be a champion or a general or a captain or something. For the moment I'm calling him the Lord of the Forest. He's another Reaper Bones figure. He's okay but I think I'd prefer the metal version. As you can see he came out okay but I just can't seem to straighten that sword handle. Also, I don't know what that weapon in his hand is supposed to be. Initially  I thought it was a melee weapon but I now think it's a bow. 
And last but not least is a new regiment of elves. These ones have a different paint job to my previous ones. I like the idea of different noble houses having their individual panoply. These guys are from Oathmark. I made the captain a few weeks back and posted on here. I thought I'd give him his own regiment. The shield motifs are just printed on paper. they're cut out and stuck on and varnished over the top. Not great but they look okay for the moment.
 And here they are without their captain.
And that's it for now. But I do have another large model that I've just finished and waiting for some final little details. I'll post some photo's soon.

Farewell dear reader.


4 comments:

  1. Nice work on the minis. I especially like the elves because I might be making some soon too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacob,
      Thanks. They are nice figures if you want to make a big army with plenty of regiments. I'll post some of the unarmoured versions sometime soon.

      Delete
  2. Very nice indeed. I know what you mean about that Bones material... It's good enough for critters and wandering monsters, but I don't like it for character models (just too squidgy!). Love the painting though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross. Yeah, it lack the crisp detail of good metal figures.

      Delete