Monday 28 January 2019

Preparing the the Siege ~ pt6

Preparations of the Siege of Rhodes continues at apace.

This week I've been getting more troops ready. Some rebasing needed to be done in a couple of places but, in general, it was a pretty painless exersize.

The Antigonids' are looking better off at the moment with a big influx of theurophori and peltasts. They do have the larger army so it's only expected that I need to make a lot more of them. The Rhodians, on the other hand have grown at a slower rate. The main re-basing that I did was on their javelin infantry. I decided that I should reduce the number of figures on the single unit I had already completed and by painting a few more I managed to turn one unit + a few, into three light infantry units. Again, the Rhodian units are split into two bases to allow them to be placed onto the city walls.

For Rhodes:
Three units of javelins.
 Elite Missile Troops - Cretan Archers & Rhodian Slingers
 A General and some marines for harbour defence.

For the Antigonids:
Four units of light infantry ~ Peltasts.
 Theurophori have doubled their numbers to 6 units.

These are mines covered by a penthouse. The idea is to work out some sort of rule to allow the use of mines as well as counter mining measures. I have a basic idea but I have to make sure the rules are uncomplicated, play quickly, and sneaky.
 Two more battering rams.
And last, but certainly not least... The man of the moment Demetrius Poliorketes - The Besieger himself. Also the full contingent of Hyspaspists/Silver Shields. There's not many of them but they are elite heavy infantry and should make quite an impact when committed to battle.
I also finished a couple more units of archers for Demetrius and more scaling ladders. But I didn't take any photos so they're not here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One thing I am having trouble finding is the names of the other generals fighting with Demetrius. I've found one ~ Alcimus ~ who lead the incursion into the city after the walls were breached anddied there. As for the Rhodian commanders, I'm going to use the names of those mentioned in L. Sprauge De Camp's novel: The Bronze God of Rhodes (whether they are real persons of not!).

Quick Edit: 
Another unit of Rhodian Marines (just finished).


2 comments: