Monday 23 November 2020

More Iberians ~ Alternative Basing

I've painted up a few more Iberians during the week. After doing the initial batch of scutarii I found I wasn't happy with the basing. They looked far too neat and tidy with three to a base in nice neat ranks. As tribal warriors, I felt that they needed to look a bit less regimented. 

After asking some questions on forums and deciding what rules I would be using them with, I decided to put them onto IMPETVS style bases (80 x 40mm) single bases. I did the same with the new figures I painted too.

I prefer this basing. I think it looks better and it will make moving individual units easier too. I expect to be playing To The Strongest and Sword & Spear with them and both sets of rules work well with 4xDBA base size as a standard unit. I will never play DBA/M so it's really quite pointless for me to base my units in such a manner.

I like them and I now have the nucleus of an army done. Next up, I think I'll paint some cavalry before getting back to more infantry.  

Scutarii - Another benefit is that I've only put 11 figures on the base which saves me a painting a few extra figures and makes them look a bit irregular.

Caestrati ~ (light infantry) I only used 6 figures instead of 8 which means I will probably be able to make an extra 2 units with the figures I've purchased. Another bonus is that I can paint a 6 figure unit quicker than an 8 figure unit.
And here is all that I've done so far, including a command base.

7 comments:

  1. I love the Impetus basing. This year I rebased a Carthaginian army from WRG bases to Impetus. They have been fighting really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a big job. I have a few huge armies that need rebasing. I'm not sure where to start.

      Delete
  2. Very nice. 80mm is a very useful size and I am currently using it with 28’s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my 28's are on individual bases but they're second in line at the moment.

      Delete
  3. These look marvellous Ian. As you have shown admirably, the large bases recommended for Impetus provide lots of potential for arrangement of figures—it doesn't take too much interpretation to adapt them to other sets, if one ignores smaller groupings/elements. I too am keeping the basing, but looking at other sets of rules!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete