Thursday 27 August 2020

Boars, Spiders and a Table.

It's been a busy week in my wargaming life. Not only did I finish some more figures but I also did some house cleaning and ended up with a permanent wargaming table set-up as a result.

What figures did I do? First up I did these orcs riding on boars. They're from Mantic Games and I think they're called Gor Riders. They look pretty nice now that they're painted but I didn't enjoy making and painting them. The Mantic method of packing a bunch of pieces in a box with no instructions and all made out of that horrible plastic/resin/stuff they use... Ughhh! I didn't enjoy it.
But... They did come out looking okay and I'm pretty happy with them. I only made six out of the ten in the box because that's all I really need for the moment. I think I might do the rest now that I can see the final result.
I also painted up some giant spiders. These are from GW. They're supposed to have goblin riders but I didn't want them so I used a bit of putty to fix them. Now, I have really bad problems with spiders because I have arachnophobia. I can't make realistic looking spiders (I can't even look at pictures of them), but these look stupid. To me, they look like crabs, and I'm okay with crabs. I'm organizing to get more of these to make up a unit.
Now on to the important stuff.

I've had my modeling work room for nearly eleven years. It looked like a mad man's workshop with stuff everywhere. Things stacked on the floor and on top of each other with barely any room to move. Just a total mess. 

So I decided to clean it up. It took three days and when it was all done I reduced my working area, moved some stuff around, removed one workbench and found that I had enough room to fit a 6' x 4' table. So that's what I did and I now have a permanent table set up.
It's not the biggest or the most impressive wargaming room in the world but it's mine and I'm happy. Despite the perspective of the pics, there is enough room for me to get around the table comfortably (and I'm not small). I'm still working on some storage and should have that sorted out in the next day or two.

I need some decorations on the wall too. I have a nice Middle Earth map and several posters I made for some wargaming events in the past. I might stick those on the walls.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. See that crappy green chair. I rescued that from a curbside rubbish collection in Melbourne, in the mid 1990's and it's been my modelling chair ever since. It traveled all over Australia with me during my years in the army. The vinyl and padding on the seat is torn and falling apart but It's still my chair. The other chair is just a ring-in. It was holding up boxes of figures a few days ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment