Wednesday 27 March 2019

Preparing for the Siege pt9

Almost there.

I've finished both armies. After longer that I expected, due to real life getting in the way, I've got both the armies of Demetrius's and Rhodes fully painted, based and ready. There's just one item I need to create: The Helepolis.

The Taker of Cities. The massive siege tower that was gigantic even by the gigantic standards of the Diodochi.
I've been prevaricating as to weather I should include it or not, but I think that the game demands it. After all it's one of the things that makes this siege stand out against the rest.

Anyway, I finished the troops.

The Antigonids:

The army of Demetrius consists of heavy infantry, peltasts, marines, skirmishing archers & formed archers - 39 bases in all. It also includes 4 heavy sone throwers, 9 scaling ladders, two normal siege towers and 3 rams (only one pictured - but I'm unsure how many I'll need).
Each base represents about 500 men, so all up it comes to about 20,000 for the assault. And if you were to include the navy... around 40,000.
 Heavy infantry with Argyraspides (Silver Shields) to the front.
 Archers: Asiatic/Persian (left) - Cretans (right) - Skirmishers (rear)
 Peltasts with mining penthouses at the back.
Rhodes:

This is a much smaller army which includes quite a few light troops. It includes Rhodian slingers, light infantry, militia and marines. As allies we have 1500 veterans sent by Ptolemy as well as heavy infantry and javelins from Cassander and Lysimachus.

I decided not to include any archers for these guys because in the rules each tower counts as housing a missile armed garrison. So that's where their archers are located.
 Marines (left), Ptolemy's veterans (center), Cassander and Lysimachus infantry (right
 Native Rhodian troops.
 Marines in the center with the militia on the left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now that I've finished these and set them out I'm thinking that I might rebase the Cretan archers to make them skirmisher bases. That will enable me to make up an extra base too, for a nice even 40. A short half-hour job.

Edit: I did it. I now have three bases of Cretan Archers in skirmish formation. Making an even 40 bases for Demetrius.


3 comments:

  1. Magnificent and beautiful looking army Ian. Most impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I've decided to add a little more to the mix - Some bases of Aegean Pirates for Demetrius, in case he feels like tying something a little sneaky.

      Delete
  2. Very cool! Sorry I did not see this last year.

    ReplyDelete