Saturday, 18 March 2017

Something Different ~ Some Sci-Fi

I played a game of Warpath: Firefight a couple of weeks back that a friend, James, was showing at one of our club nights and I was surprised that I really liked it. I didn't expect to dislike it or anything but I was surprised by the way the game worked and found that I could see myself playing this game quite a bit.

I was given a pdf of the rules to look at and I've really been getting into it. The actual rule book will be available next month & I'll get that as soon as I can. I could just print off the pdf but I'd prefer to support the game by purchasing the actual rules.

However, I'm not so gallant when it comes to buying the game miniatures. The game I played was with a couple of armies made by James with a mix of figures from all over. Which is fine by me.

I got the chance to get a bunch of 40K Necrons at a bargain price from another guy at the club who is downsizing dramatically. $50 for 28 figures. Very cheap in GW terms. The figures are painted and based so I could use them as they are but... They're Necrons and they look like Necronny and they will always be identified as Necrons. So I had to change them.

Because I bought a bunch of cheap robots fate decided that I would make a Asterian force. They seem pretty good and they suit my idea of sci-fi. Robots and drones and such things with a single flesh & blood overseer commanding them about the place.

So I did some modification on the Necrons in order, as one chap put it: "to reduce the Necron silhouette." I like that turn of phrase. So here's my first little unit of Cyphers (as they are called) and this is how they came out:

My first idea (still too Necronny):


And after shortening their weapons (and reducing the Necron  silhouette).



By the way, I wanted them to look very plastic, as if they are a metal humanoid structures covered with plastic/synthetic cowlings.

I also got a cheap box of some other sci-fi dudes that had a couple of heavy weapon drones and I ordered a second box to get more. As it is, I've used the drones as they came out of the box and I think I'll use the dudes to make up a second faction later on.  The tall drone is made up from 40K Tau stuff.



So, there you have it. The start of my little sci-fi guys (well they're really robots).

Wednesday, 15 March 2017

1st Vermandois - WSS

My first post for a while and I'm back to getting my French for the War of Spanish Succession painted up and ready. I'm still going fairly slowly on these guys and interspersing their progress with smaller (& easier) projects.

These troops form the third battalion of Montmorency's Brigade at Blenheim - the 1st Vermandois. I only have one more battalion to do to complete the brigade and I hope to get them done in the next couple of weeks. Then it's on to some cavalry!

This is, again, a very nice looking battalion with a great colourful flag of red, yellow, purple and green quarters - Although you can't really see much of it in the pics. Once again these figures are from Ebor Miniatures. I love the finished look of these figures but I have to admit that I don't enjoy preparing them. They require far too much filing to get rid of mold lines and removal of excess metal from torn molds. But the end results are always nice.

You may have noticed, if you've looked at my other battalions, that I'm using a painting method that I believe brings out the best in historical big battalions. After undercoating the figure I paint in the flesh parts and then apply a flesh wash. The rest of the figure is painted in flat colours with no shading or washes.

Doing things this way means there is a need to be fairly accurate with the brush as mistakes can be pretty glaring. Having said that I don't go out of my way to make things perfect - Just fairly accurate. This method is great for big battalions as it really makes the figures stand out and gives the formed unit a great presence at a distance on the table-top. I used this style for my Napoleonic Prussians too.





P.S. - The background buildings and paved foreground are made from printed terrain.