Sunday 25 August 2024

Rowe's Brigade ~ War of Spanish Succession

Greetings folks. Once again it has taken me a while to get back to this blog and make an entry. As mentioned in previous posts I lost my wargaming mojo and couldn't motivate myself to get into the hobby room and do any sort of wargaming related stuff. I tried several times but I just wasn't feeling the love I once had.

However, it seems that my mojo has come back this time and I'm finishing off things that got left half done on the painting table. I'll post some of the other things later some but first off all I want to post this one...
This is Rowe's Brigade. My first 10mm English brigade for the War of Spanish Succession. I actually started and competed all the infantry within a week or two near the start of the year. I was going to post them here and realised I didn't paint a commander (Brig. General Rowe). My intention was to paint him and some guns and then add them to the blog. Unfortunately that's when my funk hit home and they sat there, partly done, for months.
As it is, I painted and finished them all in one night. I got back to painting by doing some French Napoleonic's and just kept going to the painting table every night to finish them. Then I started on these guys.
My choice of Rowe's Brigade for my first English brigade is because it includes The Welch Regiment. My grandfather was in that regiment for 30 odd years, from WWI up until being evacuated from Dunkirk. That's them up above with the blue standard with the red dragon.
I don't have any real idea how to base these figures. These battalions have 7 bases with 5 figures on each. This is to give the effect of a longer, thinner line to represent the English formation for firing by platoons. By comparison, my French battalions have 5 bases each with 6 figures which give a shorter more compact impression to represent their deeper formations.
The guns have limbers which can be placed to represent the guns being limbered or they can be placed behind, and facing the guns, to represent the ammunition train when the guns are deployed. They look good too.

And that's it. All the figures are Pendraken 10mm. I have more to make and I think the next lot will be some horse. The next infantry brigade won't be English but I'm not sure what they'll be at this stage. I'll do what I generally do, which is to find a brigade that looks pretty, with flags that I like and that I can easily reproduce in 10mm. I also have to see which grenadier figures I have available so as to determine what country I can do next. That's not really a consideration when doing French but it is when doing other nations. 

I figure that one more infantry brigade, some horse and some dragoons will be enough to start doing some games. Although I'm still looking for the right set of rules. I found a set of rules in a folder on my
pc. I read them and they sounded like just what I want. Then I realised it was a set of rules I wrote myself a long time ago.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, these are very cool Ian - I did not realise they were 10mm until you said so at the end - I am toying with a venture into this scale myself, so it's great to see how nicely these "little guys" can paint up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ros, U think they're great. Small enough to make units with large numbers and big enough to add a bit of detail. I wish I discovered the years ago.

      Delete