Wednesday 14 September 2022

French Pikes and a Friendly Fiend

 Another day and another unit added to my growing Lancastrian forces. This time it's a company of French pikemen. Once again the figures are Perry plastics from their WotR range. This set has the same basic torsos and heads as the WotR bill and bow set but with different weapon options (pike, crossbows and handgunners). They're okay.

I was initially going to paint them up as Scots I eventually decided on French because I wanted to add a unit of handgunners and thought that would better suit a modern European contingent rather than Scots. Another reason for doing them as French is because Margret of Anjou always seemed to manage to persuade the French King to loan her troops. 
The flag is fairly generic. I wanted something larger than the French options included in the boxed set so I made this one in photoshop. It's nothing special but the actual flag looks much better than these photos represent. It has some subtle shading that my new phone/camera can't seem to capture. (For instance: There is no black outline on the cross. It is actually a grey shadow in real life.)
Overall they came up looking pretty nice. The command sprue has some nice options including a tambor (hand drum) to add a bit of variety. The figure I used for the standard bearer is nice. I have another one that I think I might use on a Jasper Tudor command base.
And what is this Friendly Fiend I hear you ask?

I picked up this figure when a friend was selling it at my club. It's resin and I have no idea where it comes from or who makes it. I thought it could look good alongside my other undead and it does. It has been sitting partially painted on my painting desk for a long while and only took a bit of effort to finish.
The base is interesting. It's resin and is a left over that I bought for a 40K Chaos army that I made back in about 2008/9. So it has been sitting around in the bits-box for about 12 years awaiting for its day to shine. 
I don't know what this figure is supposed to be so I decided to label it as a barrow wight. I like the rust effect I managed to get on the metal parts and the patina on the bronze parts. It came out looking pretty nice after all that time that it spent feeling unloved and neglected.
And that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment