Tuesday 7 December 2021

Ghost Riders in the Sky

I haven't been painting as much as lately so my posts here have been fewer than previous. But I've finished a few things over the past week that will be added to my army of the dead. 

I ordered a bunch of Mantic undead things a couple of months back. They took a while to get to me and when they finally did I was somewhat underwhelmed by them. Most the models are made from that horrible plastic resin and I think the rats (below) might be 3d prints.

I'll start with the best of the batch: Gargoyles. These came out better than I anticipated after a quick look at the pieces in the kit. There are two different pieces for the different body parts (legs + plinth, torso, wings and four heads, I think). I was surprised that they went together to create a few variations, especially by twisting the torsos and heads.
I painted them in very monotone greys to try and create a stone colour effect. The actual dry brush coat that I used is called medium stone, I think. There were 10 in the box but I only made these six, so I might do the remaining figures and add to their numbers.

Revenant Cavalry: I liked the look of these from what I saw online. In the flesh they really disappointed. There is far too much wrong with these figures to make them good. Putting them together was really fiddly. The horses go together to create really weird poses which just look wrong. The horses have no tails! I can understand that the tails might be the first thing to drop off an undead horse but, since we are stretching reality by considering dead horses rising from the grave it's not hard to imagine them still having tails. 
I had plans to make these into a nice looking unit but I was really uninspired by the models and didn't know what to do with them. Then I heard Johnny Cash singing Ghost Riders In The SkyI and I decided to paint them monotone ghostly green just to get them painted. They came out better than I hoped but they're still crappy models.
One thing I dislike about some undead figures is having "Undead Motifs" on the figures. Why would they have a skeleton on their standard? Did these guys know they were going to die in battle and be brought back from the dead to fight again? Is that why they used a skelly on their flag pole?
Stupid concept.
The Rats: Not much to say here. They look okay but the bases were warped and really need strong glue and clamps to get them to sit on the supplied mdf bases properly. They have some nice details. They'll go well with the giant rats and other rat bases I have to create a nice hoard of rodents.
Each base is 40x40mm.


2 comments: