Saturday 19 June 2021

Making the Wadi Shawaddywaddy

In my last post I mentioned that I was starting to make a wadi for WWII North African Desert games. I posted that to keep myself honest and get the project started and finished in good time without putting it aside for several months. So, I got started and I've 99% finished (I just need to add some desert type tufts but I need to buy some first).

So here it is: the Doo-Wop Shawaddywaddy Wadi:

I started with some pieces of black foamcore. The long pieces are 12" long and all pieces are 3" deep.
I then added some 5mm thick cork that I tore from some cork floor tiles. Each section had one long strip for the first layer and smaller pieces for the top layer. The cork is difficult to tear so I used pliers. I tried to keep the ends of the strips the same width so that they would match up (I was mostly successful). I also chamfered the edges of the foamcore and used making tape to strengthen them.
I got a tub of filler. This was the cheapest one I could find and it worked perfectly. I have a tub of a more expensive filler in my garage but it didn't work because it wouldn't adhere to the pieces.
All the pieces got a thorough coating. I left the edges of the cork intact on the rear edges because it has a nice rocky texture. I didn't worry too much about the front edges because I wanted a sandy effect out front.
The filler took a while to cure because I did this in my garage in the middle of a cold & wet Melbourne winter. When it was cured next came a coat of pva glue and a layer of wood flour to make a sand effect. I used the wood flour because I still have about 18 litres left over from making my own flock a few years back.
It looks like fluffy marshmallow and desiccated coconut.
Next up came the ubiquitous black spray.
Then all the sections got a coating of chocolate brown emulation paint. I check out the paint isle of my local Bunnings (a large Australian hardware franchise that also sells sausages!) which has a trolley full of returned paints. I can usually pick up various sample pots for a dollar.
Then came the first dry-brush coat - a sort of ugly creamy sienna colour. Looks good!
Then a bunch of various sandy/beige sort of colors with a final layer of "mango" yellow for the sandy areas.
An that was it. As mentioned above, I'd like to get some desert type tufts and add them to finish them off. 
And here they are set up. I made enough to span a 5' area with a front and rear or about 10' to make a single facing. It's not perfect and not a flat as I would have preferred but it will work if you just suspend disbelief and say that it doesn't obstruct line of sight. I also have some dusty looking grit and clump foliage that could be sprinkled in the center to create a better river bed effect. Overall I'm pretty happy with the result.
The 8th Army on their starting line, ready to move off and face Rommel's tough desert veterans.

5 comments:

  1. Superb job, my only foam core project warped, but your mix with cork seems to get around around that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I got a little bit of warping that was easily bent back to flat. But I think it was due more to the cold garage and wet weather. It seems to have settled now that it's in a nice box in a warm house.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. It was a challenge to make it.

      Delete